The Deep Dark Woods cover The Grateful Dead [Session Preview]

by oz on December 31, 2010

Happy New Year y’all! We recorded a live session with The Deep Dark Woods back in September and Shirk is putting the finishing touches on the mixes. Unlike our previous session with The Deep Dark Woods, this one features only cover songs.

I’m still on vacation, but here’s a sneak peak of the Canadians performing The Grateful Dead’s “Peggy-O” in our soon to be posted session. We couldn’t wait to share.

Anonymous January 1, 2011 at 11:22 am

I love this band! My favorite versions of their songs include some HearYa versions, so mix away!

Woody January 1, 2011 at 4:34 pm

One of my favorite Dead tunes performed by one of my favorite current bands. What’s not to like?

Boogles January 1, 2011 at 5:28 pm

That’s not a Dead song!! It’s a traditional folk song. Simon & Garfunkel and Bob Dylan have released versions of it; please get your facts straight.

Shirk January 1, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Thanks Boogles. Duly noted. We rushed to get this one out the door yesterday afternoon… focusing more on the audio mix, video production and editing instead of fact checking. Hope you were still able to enjoy the DDW’s version. I think it’s great. I’ll buy you a cup of coffee and a doughnut when your shift is over.

Oz January 1, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Boogles – Thanks for the input. If it’s facts you’re looking for, you may frequently be disappointed by us. We’re quick to discuss music, but rarely spend time on research beyond what’s in our heads.

Boogles January 1, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Sorry, about that; I didn’t mean to come off as a dick. It just irks me when traditional folk music gets attributed to a specific artist (especially the song Girl from North Country — great song, just Dylan didn’t write it).

I love your blog, especially your free sessions. Keep it up, please. You guys have introduced me to so many new bands.

Saganaki_Cowboy January 2, 2011 at 12:13 am

Wow. That was excellent. Love this band. Your ’09 session introduced me to them. Now they’re one of my favorites. I agree with tincanman, the Hearya sessions are the best versions I’ve heard of their songs. Keep up the amazing work. I can’t wait to hear the full session. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Caroline Juhlin January 2, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Dudes – ever impressed! Sure you cant swing up to the Mac before your show in Edmonton?? My living room awaits!

Westernart January 2, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Love it!

Natural Beardy January 2, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Great version. I also thought to myself, “the dead didn’t write that song,” though I think The Deep Dark Woods are probably “covering” the dead’s version. Other than that, great post, I’m excited to see the whole session!

-Dylan (Natural Beardy)