Dax Riggs showcases signature howl, Live Session #79

by oz on October 6, 2010

Vocals. That’s what immediately comes to mind when I hear the name Dax Riggs. His voice is other-worldly, expelling dark lyrics in a visceral howl. He’s half man, half beast.

Riggs’ musical career broke with his band, Acid Bath, garnering him a following in the underground metal scene. We fell in love with him after he formed Deadboy and Elephantman in 2002, which featured a more blues-inspired sound, landing squarely in the HearYa sweet spot.  Here we are in 2010, embarking on Halloween, and Dax Riggs has just released his third solo album Say Goodnight To the World. It’s a gloomy album that was recorded in his home studio in Austin, TX.

Dax and band visited us while touring through Chicago to showcase a few songs from the new album. “I Hear Satan” starts things off with a slow burn followed by several dark ballads, including a cover of “Heartbreak Hotel.” That song was originally inspired by the suicide of a man who left a note behind that read, “I walk a lonely street.” It was written by a high school teacher, arranged by Tommy Durden, and made famous by Elvis Presley. Dax brings the spirit of the song back to it’s haunting roots in the session and on the album. And finally, the session ends with a face melter in “Let Me Be Your Cigarette.”

I can’t think of a better session to ward off (or maybe welcome) evil spirits in the month of October.

Dax Riggs Band Intro

Exclusive: Dax Riggs – I Hear Satan

Exclusive: Dax Riggs – Sleeping With The Witch

Exclusive: Dax Riggs – Heartbreak Hotel

Exclusive: Dax Riggs – Say Goodnight To The World (Videos: Vimeo | YouTube)

Exclusive: Dax Riggs – Let Me Be Your Cigarette (Videos: Vimeo | YouTube)

Video: Dax Riggs – Let Me Be Your Cigarette (Live in Chicago at Shirk Music + Sound)

Video: Dax Riggs – Say Goodnight To The World (Live in Chicago at Shirk Music + Sound)

Woody October 6, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Stop, I’m Already Dead is still one of my favorite tunes from recent years. He’s got some unique titles for tunes but the dude can flat out belt it out.

I also like that we did this session in black and white. Fits the mood real nice.

Amy October 6, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I gave Dax my soul because he shared his with me!

Christy October 7, 2010 at 3:01 am

“We fell in love with him after he formed Deadboy and Elephantman in 2002, which featured a more blues-inspired sound, landing squarely in the HearYa sweet spot.”…………. Yo, I can’t speak for all us “we’s”, but I feel pretty safe in saying that the “The WE’S ,like me”………. Well, WE ALL HAVE LOVED Dax far WAAAAAAAAAAAY longer than 2002. :)

I thought this needed to be said…. bc it’s 4:58 in the A.M. Good Morning too all you WE folks!

tiffany October 8, 2010 at 11:17 am

This is great. Thank you.

Bill October 9, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Best session i’ve seen come from Hear Ya so far. Real band, real singer, real musicians, real live amazing set. Bravo.

John Harmon October 31, 2010 at 7:51 am

Dax is THE number one vocalist anywhere, in my book! Unsurpassed voice and always consistently dark and original lyrically… From When the kite string pops, to Say goodnight to the world! If u have not looked into his ENTIRE musical journey, from some of the darkest, rawest, most extreme metal ever, on through to the blues inspired trippy sound of the last 8 years then you, my friend are musically deprived! : )

IAN November 19, 2010 at 12:55 pm

i love stop, im are already dead, the the hangmans daughter, then deadgirl, the as gone as gone can be.

Austin Elliott December 3, 2010 at 11:17 pm

This has to be one of the best videos of the band ive seen. Almost as good as seeing them live. LOVE DAX! “I could disapear live only in your tears” Great Sound, Great lyrics!

Austin Elliott December 4, 2010 at 2:13 pm

just listened again. ummm omg awesome!!!!!!!!!

Randy January 7, 2011 at 12:57 am

Love this! I’ve been listening to Dax a ton lately, and then I run across this. I saw him the night before this in Grand Rapids and he was lights-out.

If anyone wants artwork for your iPod for this recording, I threw this together tonight. Enjoy…

towts January 23, 2011 at 6:08 pm

awesome

Heather February 1, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Julian Primeaux (the guitarist and back up vocals for Dax) is amazing. That is where the real talent is! Julian is an unbelievable artist! Love all of his music! And he is gorgeous! Love his curls! :)

nessa ruiz March 10, 2011 at 12:22 am

guitarists come and go; his voice has always been
… to sing y’all a song that crawls

sdose June 11, 2011 at 7:40 am

where did the download go?

Adam August 18, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Repost the download please?

SHIRK August 18, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Adam,
We’re working on it…thanks for the heads up.
Hope to have the session links back in order this weekend.

Chrake September 24, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Download?

SHIRK September 25, 2011 at 9:32 am

Chrake…not sure why there isn’t a “download zip folder” option anymore. In the meantime, simply right-click and “Save As” each file you want to download. Thanks for checking out the session.

Billy Hammond February 7, 2012 at 12:32 am

When are you coming back to Tampa Florida/St.Pete?

Jeanne Mccarthy February 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Dax Riggs n my opinion Is one of the most talented Musicians around. His vocals are amazing,lyrics tell an ongoing story and the talent.well I feel there are some people that God gives a gift to and I always feel that when I listen to Dax. His music is a gift.It comes from a soul that makes one feel the emotion put into the song. He connects. I hope he knows How much he is appreciated. The funny thing is I found him by listening to a cover he did of one of my other favorite artist .Nick Drake. I was blown away. Myself I see a lot Of similarities there. down to Pictures. I have them on my face book and everyone thinks they are the same person! I keep looking for something new from Mister Dax. !J Mac