Futurebirds Deliver an Alt-Country Victory in “Battle For Rome” [new mp3]

by oz on July 16, 2010

I recently professed my love for Athens-based alt-country newcomers, Futurebirds, and called out “Battle of Rome” as a highlight on their debut LP Hampton’s Lullaby. I’m a sucker for war songs and this is one of the best in recent memory. The banjo and acoustic guitar march along like infantry while the pedal steel foreshadows conflict, bloodshed, and impending doom. The tempo changes take you from the heat of battle to the quiet, tormented thoughts of a soldier who is left “with the pain in my head to atone for all the things I’ve done.”

The band was gracious enough to allow us to offer this as a free download to y’all. Keep your eyes peeled for an upcoming live session with Futurebirds.

Futurebirds – Battle For Rome

Sir Indie July 16, 2010 at 8:10 am

Futurebirds – “Battle for Rome” seems to be belong on the soundtrack of an updated version of the movie “Glory”..ha! Interesting mix with the banjo & guitar.

SirIndie
SirIndie.com

Dustin Roberts July 16, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Saw Futurebirds and Roadside Graves last night in Birmingham. I now understand Hearya’s fascination with Roadside. They were incredible. I was bragging about how much I read Hearya to John (lead singer for Roadside) and he had great things to say about the Hearya live session. Two great bands and Roadside is definitely a top 3 for me after last night.

kelly Womack July 17, 2010 at 9:04 am

‘ Futurebirds” band is transforming from ordinary players to EXTRAORDINARY ones, like forces of a larger consciousness. So maybe it’s the seat-of -the pants shamanism that keeps the fans coming back and keeps it fascinating for their audience. They are a Athen’s group of guy’s with talent under their belt’s and it’s obvious they didn’t just get that way. Gotta be some deep talented root’s in there for sure.

Shirk July 18, 2010 at 7:41 am

I started mixing the Futurebirds HearYa session yesterday. Sounding good. Looking forward to sharing it with you all. Aiming to post the session right around their album release on the 27th of July.

Dustin Roberts July 18, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Can’t wait Shirk. Love the sessions.

Stephen @ Peak Recording Studios Leeds July 22, 2010 at 7:35 am

Futurebirds are awesome!!!
Can’t wait for these sessions!