The National releases new song about the buckeye state. [new mp3]

by oz on April 7, 2010

Any Ohio readers out there? I’m originally from Mansfield and went to college at Miami University in Oxford (just outside of Cincinnati) with fellow HearYans, Shirk, That Guy, and SafariMan.

So do I get excited when a great band like The National writes a tune about the heartland? You’re damn skippy. The band formed in Brooklyn, but only after relocating from Cincinnati. Their new release, High Violet, will be released via 4Ad Records on May 11th.

The National – Bloodbuzz Ohio

Shirk April 7, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I was not aware that these guys were Miami University alumni. I thought Nick Lachey (of 98 degrees and Jessica Simpson fame) was as good as we got.

I put this song on while cooking breakfast at a college reunion in the mountains this past weekend. To my surprise, not a single person asked what or who it was. It just sort of blew right by. The song that followed was R. Kelly’s “Real Talk” which got everyone’s attention and a couple of repeats for laughs.

oz April 7, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Who said they were Miami Alumni? That’s how rumors get started, Shirk.

Shirk April 7, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Sorry…misread.

safariman April 8, 2010 at 7:37 am

Miami is also home to some awesomely terrible reality TV ‘stars’…I trade them all for just one of the Dressner brothers–or even a towel soaked in Matt Beringers sweat. Love that these guys stay true to their Ohio roots. Despite having 4 of Forbes’ top 20 most miserable cities, Ohio is still the heart of it all and the birthplace of rock n’ roll.

Redhaks playing in the frozen 4 tonight…game on.

Woody April 8, 2010 at 9:49 am

Great tune in spite of having the word Ohio in the title.

Ctogar May 11, 2010 at 1:34 pm

So, I went to Miami from ’90 to ’94. My freshman year, my dorm hall monitor guy’s name was…Matt Berninger. Comparing pics of the National’s Matt with my memory, it’s possible they’re the same person. This guy was a huge music buff – we went to Bogart’s to see the Replacements in ’90.

I know it’s a reach, does anyone know if he spent any time in school at Miami? I’ve seen references to him going to college, but never where or when.