The Deep Dark Woods, Live Session #55, featuring two new tracks.

by oz on September 14, 2009

The Deep Dark Woods

We’ve been all over The Deep Dark Woods since we missed their album Hang Me Oh Hang Me as one of the best of 2007. Since then, we’ve became enamored with their Grateful Dead influenced alt-country style and when Winter Hours was released this year, it quickly became a favorite. They joined the lineup at our first ever SxSW party and then The Deep Dark Woods stopped by Shirk’s studio for a live session during their first ever trip to Chicago.

This is probably the most anxious I’ve been to hear a live session and the end result was well worth the wait. I previewed the tracks to a few folks and here were a few comments that came back:

“Heartbreaking.”

“Devastating.”

“Beautiful.”

Few bands can capture all those sentiments with 6 live tracks in a studio, but The Deep Dark Woods bottled up magic on this day. The session starts with an amazing new song called “The Banks Of The Leopold Canal.” It’s a Canadian soldier’s tale of woe as he’s forced to leave his love for battle in WWII. Ryan was inspired to write the song after seeing a special on The Battle of the Scheldt in which an interviewed soldier was quoted saying “thousands were dead in the Leopold Canal.” That line became lyrics in the song.

“Two Time Loser” is an upbeat honkey tonk reprieve before we’re introduced to another new track called “Ballad Of Frank Dupree.” It’s a fictional song about a man who murders his girl and repents as he faces death by hanging at the gallows. It’s hard not to sympathize with this criminal as he blames the liquor and tries to explain his evil sins to his mother and father.

In addition to “Two Time Loser,” you’ll also hear two other tracks from Winter Hours including the title track and “All The Money I Had Is Gone” before they indulged us with a special request in a traditional cover of “River In The Pines,” my favorite track from Hang Me Oh Hang Me. They’ve also added a keyboardist that gives a new dimension to each song. Anyone that follows us on Twitter knows how excited I was to share these tracks. I can’t wait for you to listen.

Exclusive: The Deep Dark Woods – The Banks Of The Leopold Canal

Exclusive: The Deep Dark Woods – Two Time Loser

Exclusive: The Deep Dark Woods – Ballad Of Frank Dupree (video)

Exclusive: The Deep Dark Woods – All The Money I Had Is Gone (video)

Exclusive: The Deep Dark Woods – Winter Hours

Exclusive: The Deep Dark Woods – River In The Pines (video)

Download the session as a zip file.

Video: The Deep Dark Woods – Ballad Of Frank Dupree

More videos:

The Deep Dark Woods – All The Money I Had Is Gone

The Deep Dark Woods – River In The Pines

Vanessa September 15, 2009 at 8:00 am

YEEEEEAAHHHHHH!!
Been looking forward to this session since seeing them at the Hideout. Sounds GREAT.
Thanks for the lovely tunes this morning : )

pop-kid September 15, 2009 at 4:02 pm

I too have been looking forward to this session – sounds great so far! Looking forward to downloading the rest when I get home. Keep up the good work.

Smansmith September 15, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Very nice, thanks for posting – definitely a must have!

S.

Woody September 17, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Simply amazing. I didn’t think they could get any better but the addition of the keys has taken them to a whole new level. They capture the Dead vibe better than any other band I have seen. And the reason being is that they’re not trying too hard. It just flows naturally; well that and the fact that they write amazing tunes and have talent to spare. How they are not scooped up by a label is beyond me?

Shirk September 18, 2009 at 10:08 am

Yeah, these guys are great. I too love the addition of the keys. The wurlitzer into on “Leopold Canal” is really nice. But I also love the stripped down vibe on “Winter Hours”. This one will has and will continue to get lots of listens at home, the car and the studio.

Kim_NokiaMusic May 24, 2010 at 7:31 am

I feel ashamed that this is the first time that I’ve paid this band any real attention. They’re amazing. Thanks for this!

Ross June 15, 2011 at 10:22 am

Thank you!!!!!! What an amazing band. I wish they would come to New Orleans.

Pablohoney June 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm

pretty much the best band out there. can’t wait for them to come back to NYC at some future date.

cosmicoldcrowe September 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm

The Deep Dark Woods play some great music, kind of like stuff from the 70′s, but to their credit, they have thrown a twist of their own creative touch and sound into the mix! They remind me a little bit of The Band and soundin’ like The Band is a good thing!!! Keep on, Keepin’ on…

bill May 6, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I just caught them at Merlfest 2012. As an old Dead fan, I didn’t make that connection. I was leaning toward early ’70s Neil Young. The Band comparison is closest to doing them justice – especially the incredible vocal harmonies. The organ sends their songs into the stratosphere. Check out the fantastic downloads of some live shows from 2012 on their website.