The Devil Makes Three – Live Session #52

by Woody on August 4, 2009

Devil Makes Three

A day or so after The Devil Makes Three stormed through Chicago, a buddy of mine asked how I liked the DM3 session. I rubbed my chin thoughtfully and responded in such fashion:

“DM3 album es bueno”

“DM3 in studio es muy bueno”

DM3 live at Beat Kitchen es muy bueno con queso”

What the hell does that mean? Besides the obvious, 1) everything goes better with cheese and 2) I have a limited use of the English language.

It means that DM3 are one of the better live acts touring the country these days. Individually, Pete, Lucia and Cooper are each immensely talented, but the way they work together is the real treat. With a frantic brand of music that feels like it could easily veer off the tracks at any moment, it’s imperative that the three band mates not step on each other’s toes or the music could get muddled. Luckily, Devil Makes Three has the technical chops to pull each song off flawlessly.

Shirk did a fantastic job of capturing their sound here, but I implore you see them live if you have the chance. They even joked about the studio performance at the show, saying it was tough to play standing still to remain on camera.

The crowd at the show that night was a demographic mixed bag, which is consistent from what I’ve read in press clippings. From one release, I read “The Devil Makes Three has developed an audience that encompasses just about every kind of music fan from punk rockers to Deadheads, bluegrass barflies and rockabilly fanatics to indie rock kids.”

Didn’t matter what they were wearing. Everyone was dancing their ass off and I almost had my ACL torn apart by a girl slipping in her stilettos.

Exclusive: The Devil Makes Three – For Good Again

Exclusive: The Devil Makes Three – Do Wrong Right

Exclusive: The Devil Makes Three – Poison Trees

Exclusive: The Devil Makes Three – Help Yourself

Exclusive: The Devil Makes Three – The Day I Jumped From Uncle Harvey’s Plane

Download the session as a zip.

Video: The Devil Makes Three – Do Wrong Right (see more videos from this session here).

oz August 5, 2009 at 8:20 am

I’m going to go out on a limb and say these are also the best tattoos we’ve ever had in the studio. I’m ashamed that I haven’t seen them live in the bay area. Sell out about every show out here and have a cult following.

Great set DM3! Next time, feel free to move around the studio and break things. I’m sure Shirk won’t mind.

Shirk August 5, 2009 at 8:36 am

Yeah…moving around and breaking things is encouraged….thanks to Woody’s trusty insurance coverage.

This was really a fun session….once we got going, it was fun to just kind of sit back and listen.

oddbodkins August 5, 2009 at 8:39 am

i’ve been looking forward to this one since you mentioned it a few weeks ago.

Cannot wait to see these cats live.

Wevo August 6, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Couldn’t agree more. Love the DM3. Will see them in the Bay area one of these days.

Just played Austin a few months ago and rocked Stubb’s.

xoxy December 2, 2009 at 7:15 am

muy bueno el tema

Matt Pierce August 2, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Is there a place to get the whole session in mp3 format other than just the 5 songs listed here? I’ve found several session videos on youtube that are not included on your channel or in the links above. This is a phenomenal session and I would love to have a recording of the whole thing.

Shirk August 3, 2010 at 6:44 am

Matt Pierce – I’m not sure what tracks you are referring to. The Devil Makes Three HearYa Live Session that we did (and I recorded) consisted of only 5 songs. All of which are contained in the downloadable zip file in the link above. I’m really happy to hear that you’ve enjoyed this session. This one has really held up over time …constantly generating feedback and comments on youtube, etc. That’s a testament to the talent in DM3. What a great band.

Stephen Pace September 18, 2010 at 11:19 am

And I’m going to miss then in Utah. Again.

What a kickass performance you all got to have! Thanks for making this available. Love the videos too. The surveillance camera feeds are a great touch.

S

Morgan June 28, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Get to Denver soon!!!!

Ricky Schwartz May 3, 2012 at 9:02 am

Please can you guys make a South African tour!! We fucking heart you dudes so much, go on, be a champ!