HearYa Live Session 48: Other Lives

by Woody on June 9, 2009

Other Lives

I have had the privilege of seeing many phenomenal acts roll through the HearYa studio for some intimate personal concerts. I don’t think there has been a session yet that has moved me like this one, featuring Stillwater, Oklahoma band Other Lives. Their arrangements are simply amazing and they have a unique ability to sound like they’ve spent years deliberating over every note while still coming off as natural and spontaneous.

As they were getting ready to start up the Leonard Cohen cover of “The Partisan,” I asked Shirk if he thought the band would mind if I lied down in the middle of the studio while they played. Different music elicits different reactions, but with the Other Lives, I just want the music to wash over me. I am still getting goosebumps listening to this batch of songs and I’m 10 listens deep.

From a more personal standpoint, I don’t have enough good things to say about Jesse, Jenny, Colby, Jonathon and Josh. Shirk and I ended up hanging out with them after their set at Schubas to take in the Elvis Perkins in Dearland set. They were an absolute pleasure to hear in the studio and all around good people to spend time with. We wish them the best on the rest of their tour and look forward to seeing them back in Chicago at Lollapalooza.

Exclusive: Other Lives -AM Theme

Exclusive: Other Lives – Paper Cities

Exclusive: Other Lives – The Partisan (Leonard Cohen Cover)

Exclusive: Other Lives – Precious Air

Exclusive: Other Lives -It Was The Night

Download the Other Lives session as a zip.

Video: Other Lives – Precious Air

You can see more Other Lives session videos over on our YouTube Channel.

Smansmith June 9, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Not going to lie to ya, this is fantastic. Thanks for sharing the session my good friends!

DBTChicago June 10, 2009 at 5:40 am

this makes me super happy.

DBT Chicago June 10, 2009 at 6:56 am

such a mesmerizing sound. still not tired of it after third listen this morning. production value good as always.

Todd June 10, 2009 at 8:16 am

Fantastic…I was at their show at Schubas as well with Elvis Perkins — Other Lives came dangerously close to stealing the show. What an experience. I also caught ‘em at SXSW in March and was equally blown away. So talented and yet so humble — very rare in today’s music environment. Thanks for posting their session…a real treat.

DBT Chicago June 10, 2009 at 8:30 am

as far as performances go, i thought other lives did steal the spotlight from elvis perkins that night. perkins is an uber-talented musician (his vocal range is sick), but he lacked some presence on stage that night. meanwhile, other lives hit a grand slam.

Aaron Robert Hall June 10, 2009 at 10:52 am

What a great sound. These songs are the kind of songs that make you close your eyes and let the music take you for a ride. Beautiful tracks!

Lela June 10, 2009 at 1:53 pm

You mentioned a Ryan in the band. Pretty sure there is no Ryan in the group. Josh would be the bass player. This is my favorite band. They continue to blow me away! Everytime I see Other Lives they get better. Great job on the session guys.

Shirk June 10, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Yeah, I just got around to actually reading the writeup. Somehow that slipped through…thanks for the heads up, Lela. Sorry Josh, I’ll have Oz update ASAP!

oz June 10, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Made the update. Sorry Josh. Woody drinks.

I’d just like to say that this session sounds friggin’ amazing. Paper Cities is my personal fav.

Woody June 10, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Thanks Oz. Josh knows that. We had a couple of beers at Schubas. I will no longer write these reviews at 5Am while watching Snow White with my daughter. You’re damn well lucky they weren’t called Bashful, Grumpy, Sneezy, Happy and Doc. I, of course, was Sleepy and Oz is Dopey.

chicagowren March 24, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I think Other Lives is the most interesting band out there right now. I know they are opening for Radiohead but I I think they are better than Radiohead…I never thought I would say that! Their sound is so beautiful & expansive. I don’t live in Chicago anymore but I’ve seen many bands @ Schuba’s & I am so jealous…It had to be FANTASTIC!! Thanks for posting the videos!