HearYa Live Session 42: Alberta Cross

by Woody on March 17, 2009

albertacross_still2

About a year ago we got an email about Alberta Cross and soon thereafter Oz and I had become enamored with their EP, The Theif & The Heartbreaker. We thought they were going to be a huge breakout band and the toast of the blog community. But then things went mostly silent. Oz and I were left completely befuddled.

After chatting with lead singer, Petter, the mystery was revealed. Apparently their old label, Geffen Records, wasn’t offering any sort of support and they were left in no-man’s land. They’ve since added three new members (including Alec from HearYa favorites The Morning Pages), have permanently set up shop in Brooklyn and just finished their first LP with Mike McCarthy in Austin. The tunes below are all off their upcoming LP that will be released on ATO Records, which is boasting an amazing stable of bands like The Whigs, White Rabbits, Other Lives, and a couple bands called My Morning Jacket and Radiohead

Their new sound is much heavier than the previous EP, but they still have a dash of that warm, 70′s hippie jam vibe. As Shirk was recording Alberta Cross, he was reminded of the Dead Confederate session. Both bands have a big, emotional, power rock sound that could fill an arena. During their set at Schubas that night, I couldn’t help but feel like I was watching a band with many similarities to My Morning Jacket. Petter has a truly unique voice, a la Jim James, and is backed by a jamming band. These guys are absolutely going places and, while Oz and I might have been sitting alone at the party for 18 months, we’ve got plenty of seats reserved. Please join us.

Exclusive: Alberta Cross – Broken Side Of Time

Exclusive: Alberta Cross – Untitled New Song

Exclusive: Alberta Cross – Leave Us Or Forgive Us

Exclusive: Alberta Cross – ATX

Exclusive: Alberta Cross – Taking Control

Video: Alberta Cross – Taking Control (Live At Shirk Music + Sound)

Alberta Cross – Taking Control – HearYa Live Session from HearYa.com on Vimeo.

jeff March 17, 2009 at 10:59 am

great post. i love these guys. the first disc was terrific. i hope they find a bigger audience.

anyone March 17, 2009 at 11:11 am

I know these guys are your friends, but seriously! This is the kind of crap that made me give up music back in the late 80′s. Its like you’re raving about the Cult’s most forgettable tracks. Not only are the lyrics uninspired and basically meaningless, the playing is completely slick and heartless. Seriously, these guys are a holdover wackoff band who never evolved past compulsively playing complicated but lame derivative rock that no one really liked in the first place (except for you, but who wants to go to a rock club with no girls in it). No wonder Geffen dropped them. Oh yeah, and that soul-killing Beer Nuts plug is why no one listens to radio any more. Gross!

DBT Chicago March 17, 2009 at 11:32 am

was waiting and waiting for this. brings back memories … of being there. well done, shirk.
even better is AC are cool dudes.

Shirk March 17, 2009 at 11:48 am

Wow…sorry you’re not liking it!

I really enjoyed having these guys in studio and hearing them play. I can now call these guys friends/acquaintances, but they were invited in for a session for their MUSIC. We’d never met a single one of them until their stop-in at the studio. I like what their music has to offer and I like where it takes me. Petter has a great voice and the band backs it up with some great textures. We can chalk one up to different strokes for different folks here.

And regarding the Beer Nuts plug, they are our session sponsors and without their contribution, we could not keep our doors open for recording sessions like this. Sessions that yield professional recordings that you or anyone can have for free. We are grateful for their participation in our sessions and feel that a long-time, family owned company like Beer Nuts is welcome in the world of homegrown indie music. I’m pretty sure most people stopped listening to radio because, for the most part, the playlist(s) suck. No variety, no quality, all pre-programmed by some dude in an office with the bottom line starring him in the face.

Out of curiosity, what kind of music did you stop creating back in the 80′s?

oz March 17, 2009 at 11:52 am

@ anyone: Anonymous comments are always the best. If you gave up music in the 80’s, why are you even paying attention? Are you also reading blogs about jelly shoes?

That was the first time we’ve met Alberta Cross, so we’re not exactly friends. But while we might not be having pillow fights or taking camping trips together, I still LOVE the EP and can’t wait to see them at SXSW.

I thought people weren’t listening to radio because they hated Nickelback. What do people listen to now? All the free streaming services are inserting ads and everything else requires a paid subscription.

boyhowdy March 17, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Way to not sink to his level (you guys are a class act for sure), but let’s be honest: anyone’s just a troll and the thing to do with trolls is to not feed them.

I’m sure you hear it a lot, but these sessions are pretty incredible. I don’t know of any other outlets that are producing this kind of excellent original content and giving it away for free. Thanks very much to HearYa and Beer Nuts and all the bands that participate. We (or at any rate, the vast majority of us) really do appreciate it.

DBT Chicago March 17, 2009 at 10:22 pm

off subject: i’ve often asked for a misc. section on this site for music discussion. anyhow, this a tangent topic.

after spending one hour tuesday at a local irish pub by my condo in downtown chicago, i realized not all irish music is good. it’s true.
background: i’m from georgia. i was not exposed to much irish music growing up. but when i moved to chicago in 2003, i discovered the tossers, a genuine irish rock/folk band. i then automatically thought irish music was awesome.
my fantasy world crashed into me 3/17/09. much of it sucks.
just like any other genre, you have to be selective.
cheers.
have fun at SXSW.

nittanyroar March 18, 2009 at 9:55 am

I agree DBT, my girlfriend is Irish and every year (except for this year, thank you Jesus!) her parents have a St. Patty party and play nothing but Irish music, I can’t handle most of that shit.

Lady Godiva March 22, 2009 at 7:46 am

Thanks for this session, I dig these guys who have a special sound to them. Petter’s voice is indeed gorgeous.
I got to see Alberta Cross last summer at APW festival, I didn’t have a clue who they were but they instantly blew me away.
Can’t wait to hear the album, I keep listening to the EP.
There are too many trolls online who are just jaded and criticize everything.
There’s nothing wrong with not liking a band, yet there is no reason to sound supercilious and self righteous.
I love Alberta Cross! Thanks again

Dan March 24, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Thanks for the sessions. I am a reader of the blog for well over a year now and have to give you credit for my learning about a lot of the great music that i have been checking out since then. Alberta Cross…is a a perfect example. My friend…via your blog played them for me after seeing a post for them on your blog about 18 months ago. Soonafter i caught them 3 times at CMJ ’08…2wice in BK and once at the Bowery Ballroom in Manhattan. I’ve caught many a good set by them since. I love catching their opening sets for a lot of up and coming bands in the NY scene. I can’t wait for their first full length to EVENTUALLY get released so more people can hear/appreciate the brilliance of Petter/Terry and Co. but at the same time i have loved the intimacy of their NY shows thusfar. Keep the good tunes coming and maybe I’ll come a knocking the next time I am in Wicker Park.

bev July 20, 2009 at 4:01 pm

cannot wait for the full length either. coming out september 22!

the scientist August 18, 2009 at 2:25 pm

taking control easily the best song i have heard in 2009. this band deserves so much credit for being unapologetic about kicking ass. so whoever doesn’t like it must not like kick ass things such as alberta cross and/or a ZJ. what is a ZJ you ask? well if you don’t know you can’t afford it.

Freddy Rosano June 9, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Just heard these guys on Greg Napier Hazard Kentucky Radio on WMMT.
Also ive been listining to Jim Ladd KMET now KLOS Los Angeles for 35 years now.
When i heard AC on Gregs show the otehr night i immediately found there You Tube Video and posted it on my Facebook profile like i do alot of songs.
Im a L.A Rocker and love muisc..I really dug the song Thief and the Heartbreaker..
So thats all i have to say about that..Best of Luck to AC in the future :)

coyfish July 27, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Thanks for spreading the word. I love Alberta Cross and always have since Bonnaroo ’09. Their set was amazing and hasn’t left my mind since. keep up the good work!

Ashley January 7, 2011 at 11:02 am

Love these guys, and have seen them three different times live, here, in Columbus, Ohio. Not everyones cup-o-tea, and understandably so, however I will listen to what makes me feel good, and AC can does that for me.

Thank you, for at least, giving them a listen!

Kyle April 20, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I know this is a bit late, but I finally found a site that mentions the Untitled song – was it ever recorded for an album and what’s it called?

Jquery bookmark June 30, 2013 at 1:42 am

Hmm it appears like your website ate my first comment (it was
extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any recommendations for rookie blog writers? I’d certainly appreciate it.