Dead Oceans/Jagjaguwar/Secretly Canadian announce SXSW 2009 Showcase lineup

by oz on February 18, 2009

The Dead Oceans/Jagjaguwar/Secretly Canadian combined SXSW showcase is Thursday night at The Mohawk and they’ve just released the lineup:

Odawas
Phosphorescent
Bishop Allen
Women
BLK JKS
Mt. St. Helens Vietnam Band
Julie Doiron
These Are Powers
Foreign Born
Richard Swift
Akron/ Family

Here are a few mp3’s to sample:
Odawas – Harmless Lover’s Discourse

nittanyroar February 18, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Has anyone listened to Phosphorescent’s “To Willie”? I’m a little surprised no one’s reviewed it yet, I thought it would be right up your alley.

Personally I think it fantastic. Even though it’s all covers it’s at the top of my best of ’09 list at the moment. Just an amazing album.

DBT Chicago February 18, 2009 at 2:25 pm

concur. i got it last week. fantastic stuff. houck does willie’s tunes more than justice. it’s in the regular rotation.

oz February 18, 2009 at 2:32 pm

I’m in the process of reviewing. It’s still sinking in…

DBT Chicago February 19, 2009 at 12:35 am

in case nobody read or heard, the hold steady is supporting dave matthews band for a half dozen dates. now, i have nothing against anybody making money, but in my opinion, the hold steady lost its credibility with me for that decision. i was never a big fan, and i can guarantee i never will be.

nittanyroar February 19, 2009 at 8:48 am

I was never much of a HS fan. I can listen to them if I had to, but I never understood what all the fuss was about. I have a hard time getting past Finn’s voice. If I had to describe them to someone it might go something like a bar band with good songwriting but the wrong voice to deliver.

Woody February 19, 2009 at 9:39 am

I’ll throw my two cents in as a big fan of The Hold Steady. I think they are one of the best live bands out there today. The energy they play with is infectious and while they are not breaking down any barriers, they do what they do very well. As for opening for DMB, I really couldn’t care less. They have to make a living so if it is putting money in their pockets, I’m all for it as long they don’t alter their music.

As for Phosphorescent, Too Willie is great. I caught him at SXSW last year and he simply blew me away. His set was phenomenal and his live version of Wolves was one for the ages.