Am I the only one that doesn’t get Animal Collective?

by oz on January 16, 2009

I keep reading all these great reviews, but I don’t get it. I gave it a shot and it must be above my intellect. Some are claiming that it’s the best album so far this year and may end up being the best of the year. I’ll stick to my advance copies of‚  the upcoming releases from The Deep Dark Woods and Justin Townes Earle for now. Those are gems.

You know those posters that you stare at and eventually 3D shapes start forming? I can’t do those either. Even if I go cross-eyed.

Damian Mann January 16, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I gotta say…Strawberry Jam was a messy disc. I figured this was a band , like TV on the Radio or Vampire Weekend, was an acquired taste. They certainly weren’t for me.

BUT, this new record is a MUCH better product. I was really surprised by how good the thing is (as a whole). I can understand why some people wouldn’t like it. It’s highly polished experimental non-commercial music. And it takes some getting use to (for some).

They kind of remind me of “Yes”…. (anyone remember them?)….music for stoners(!!???!!!)

I would NOT call it a top record of the year though. But, I’ve seen lists where it was near the top. The same lists had TV on the Radio at number 1. THERE’S a band who’s popularity confuses the s@&t out of me.

Both records are listenable. But, I wouldn’t list them as great…and certainly not “greatest”.

I’m listening to “Summertime Clothes” right now. You don’t like this stuff?

Doctor Mooney January 16, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Count me as another that just doesn’t get it. I thought I was the only one.

jake January 16, 2009 at 6:03 pm

I’ll also come out of the proverbial closet on this one. I don’t get Animal Collective either.
But some people do and that’s okay.
Some people don’t and they try to pretend that they do though, that’s not okay.

oz January 16, 2009 at 8:15 pm

I wouldn’t throw vampire weekend in the same category. They are a pop band that’s accessible (although I don’t like them either).

I tried listening to Animal Collective’s new album and couldn’t take it. It’s not that I thought it was mediocre or average… or that it might grow on me if I kept listening. It was painful.

brooks January 16, 2009 at 8:48 pm

I have to agree. I’ve given the album a few listens and it just doesn’t work for me at all. Same with the Panda Bear stuff. And I agree with the other commenter that said they don’t get TV On The Radio. I don’t get that band either… Maybe I’m not hipster enough?

nittanyroar January 16, 2009 at 9:44 pm

An advance of the new JTE? words can’t describe how jealous I am. Will we get a review of it at some point?

Speaking of advances just an fyi, NPR was streaming M. Ward’s new album in its entirety.

As for the subject of this post, I’ve never listened to them, no opinion here.

oz January 16, 2009 at 10:11 pm

How is that M. Ward album?

nittanyroar January 16, 2009 at 11:41 pm

I wouldn’t know, I didn’t listen to it. The fact that any music played through my laptop sounds like it’s being broadcast through a tin can makes me want to wait for the real thing.

This is near the top of my most anticipated if not at the top, I don’t want some shitty Hewlett Packard speakers ruining it.

Woody January 17, 2009 at 6:26 am

I have tried a few times with Animal Collective. Either I am too old or just not hip enough. Grizzly Bear is the one band I want to like but I just can’t get into. I try and try but to no avail. But I guess they’re both doing something right because they have loads of devoted fans.

aloffredio January 17, 2009 at 7:37 am

Yes, Animal Collective does suck. Its nice to actually see it somewhere else besides in my own head. I was starting to think something was wrong with me. And while I’m at it, Vampire Weekend, Of Montreal, and M Ward are way overrated also.

Starkey January 17, 2009 at 9:13 am

Gotta disagree. AC offers up a unique sound that goes beyond traditional conventions in terms of arrangements and sound effects. The new album is apparently much more approachable given the greater emphasis on melody. Not for everybody clearly, but neither was Sgt Pepper or Pet Sounds in the ’60s. By the way, TVOTR is NOT overrated.

Cris Camino January 17, 2009 at 10:42 am

Woohoo. I thought I was the only one. I am surrounded by people who think they are beyond criticism and I just don’t get it. Glad not to be the lone Philistine out there.

theOCMD January 17, 2009 at 3:46 pm

I do like the album but definitely think it is ridiculously overhyped. It’s worthy of praise for sure, but it’s not the second coming of Christ. I too mocked the kool-aid drinking masses a bit.

Shawn M. Smith January 18, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Nah, it is a hard listen. I actually wrote in the comments of our review at Radio Exile, that the album is the soundtrack for staring at the cover. That seems appropriate, don’t you think?

Vanessa January 18, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Do you remember or have you ever adopted an album that made you proclaim similar things to what people are declaring about ANimal Collective’s new one?

jesselun January 19, 2009 at 10:03 am

I dont’ get it

bobby January 19, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Autopsy IV January 19, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Lucero – Rebels, Rogues & Sworn Brothers
Drive-By Truckers – Decoration Day

intangibles January 19, 2009 at 2:08 pm

MGMT has renewed my faith in young rokers

Ed January 20, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Do you know any records i should listen, or the kind of drug to get into AC. I´m giving it a lot of time. I listen to LCD soundsytem, DJ Shadow, Sigur Ros, Mum, Deerhunter, TV on the radio, beside the obvious: Radiohead, Air, Beck, PJ Harvey, Massive Attack, Portishead. I don´t know why i still don´t get them.

ZAIN January 21, 2009 at 8:51 am

H8 U NOMINAL COLLECTIVE!

Steve McCoy February 6, 2009 at 10:45 am

I got Feels from AC back when it was the buzz. I hated it. Didn’t listen to it for the last 18 months at least. Then I got the new AC and have really enjoyed it. Went back and listened to Feels a few nights ago and it was amazing. Acquired taste is my only guess. And I’m very glad I acquired it, much like with beer and Pitchfork. 🙂

mike August 7, 2012 at 7:12 pm

yes! I’ve seen AC live and it was ghastly crap. Complete rubbish… but what do I know