90’s Music = The New 80’s Music

by That Guy on January 16, 2009

90s

It’s official – I’m getting old. It won’t be long until my balls are hanging by a thread down by my swollen cankles. It didn’t hit me until a couple months ago at a University of Georgia college bar after the Florida vs. Georgia college football game.

I was sitting at a table, watching some guy in jorts make fun of Tim Tebow. That’s when “Hard to Handle” by the Black Crowes came on the jukebox and the entire bar went absolutely nuts. You know what it reminded me of? It was like when “Sweet Child O’Mine” used to come on the bar jukebox when I was in college. It was complete mayhem – hot girls were inexplicably grinding on chubby guys, everyone was screaming the lyrics as loud as they could, and I started craving a Zima with a Jolly Rancher.

And that’s when it hit me – are the 90’s the new 80’s? I know the fact that the Black Crowe’s are from Georgia may have had something to do with the hysteria, but do today’s college kids look back on 90’s music much the same way people in their late 20’s/ 30’s regard 80’s music?

I’m not sure, but it did prompt me to ponder some of the great 90’s radio music that I listened to, long before I was listening to indie music and crushing ass as a blogger at HearYa. I later had a discussion with my buddy at the Avett Brothers show and we both professed our mutual love for Spacehog’s “In The Meantime,” the timeless brilliance of Third Eye Blind, and the under-appreciated mastery of Crash Test Dummies. The mere thought of Candlebox’s opening guitar riff to “Far Behind” still sends blood flowing toward my groin area, similar to the No-Reason-Boners (NRBs) I used to get in Mrs. Rinema’s social studies class, which eventually forced me to switch from wearing mesh shorts to school everyday to much sturdier khakis. Ahhhhh¦.the 90’s. They were a wonderful time.

Enjoy a few of these choice 90’s tracks, and be sure to check out a few of my favorite sites that occasionally feature 90’s music: 1) Can You See the Sunset has a phenomenal running feature called “It Came from the 90’s” and 2) Captain’s Dead has an awesome “Top 60 tracks of the 90’s” post here.

Enjoy a couple of my favorite 90’s tracks below:

Spacehog – In The Meantime (from Captains Dead)

Candlebox – Far Behind (from Captains Dead)

Crash Test Dummies – Afternoons & Coffeespoons (from Lost In Your Inbox)

oz January 16, 2009 at 9:06 am

Something is wrong with you.

Also – I only saw 15 tracks at Captain’s Dead, but one was “Runaway Train” by Soul Asylum. That one brings back memories.

radionowhere January 16, 2009 at 11:18 am

Hilarious post.

Thanks for the Spacehog – always loved that track. Also, the only time I ever thought “man, I’d love to hear this song right now”, and turned on the car radio, and that very song was just starting – it was “In The Meantime”.

Please don’t ever mention the Crash Test Dummies again, though. I’m still trying to scrub them out of my brain, 15 years later.

Woody January 16, 2009 at 1:32 pm

I just want to make sure I am in the right place. Did we really just post Glasvegas and the Crash Test Dummies this week?

Long live Drinking Buddy. Only he can weave Sade, Glasvegas and Spacehog into an indie music blog in a two week stretch.

Vanessa January 16, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I think the cold near-death temperatures here in chicago have caused D.B. to become disoriented a little bit 😛
by the way, thank god you guys keep a sense of humor around here!

jeffreygeoffrey January 17, 2009 at 12:12 pm

thanks for the “In the Meantime” reminder. should play that more often…

check out my podcast @ http://www.jeffmix.com

Dave January 17, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I hear ya people. I mentioned the song “Possum Kingdom” by the Toadies to a guy at work, who is an active musician, and he had no clue as to what I was speaking of. Either I’m getting old, or the younger folk just aren’t listening to the oldies as much.

Drinking Buddy January 19, 2009 at 6:31 pm

“Possum Kingdom” was a good one – I remember sitting in my bedroom and learning how to play that opening riff on a guitar I borrowed from my neighbor. I was also a big fan of “Tyler” by the Toadies.

ViaChicago January 23, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Tyler was the best song on that album, hands down. Toadies were my 1st concert, opening for Bush in Cleveland. Also, I had a similar revelation of 90’s being the new 80’s on the Brown Line this past October. There was a group of pretty cute, clearly collegiate ladies sharing the car with me…clearly this grabbed my attention. What really peaked my interest though, was the fact that they were all inexplicably dressed. Now, it wasn’t obvious what the theme was, but something was up. So, I asked what they were doing and they relpied ‘going to a 90’s party’…those 5 words uttered by that girl in the high waisted jeans and body suit turned a page in my life. The next week, I got married, 2 weeks later, I had a little baby boy. Sometimes, it’s the little things that make you realize, you just need to grow up.

Other great 90s tracks
*Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth…-Primitive Radio Gods
*Dyslexic Heart- Paul Westererg
*Hunger Strike- Temple of the Dog
*All I Want- Toad the Wet Sprocket
*Singing in my Sleep- Semisonic
*How Bizarre- OMC (although I prefer the novelty Cleveland Indians remix ‘Alomar’ for Sandy Alomar Jr.)

MUOHIO February 6, 2009 at 10:33 pm

ViaChiacago,
Do u know where one can find that omc “How Bizarre” remix of “Sandy Alomar”? I’ve been looking for years, but can not find it LOL. Thanks man!

Katie September 9, 2009 at 11:11 am

Someone help me find the How Bizarre Remix for Sandy Alomar!! Thanks!!

Dig Me Out February 3, 2011 at 9:36 am

The 90s are, in fact, back.

On DIG ME OUT, we review a different obscure, forgotten or overlooked 90s album. Check us out at: digmeoutpodcast.blogspot.com