The Best EP’s Of 2008

by oz on December 12, 2008

Here’s to the best shorties of the 2008! I’m really in love with this batch of albums and we’ve shown lots of love for all of these artists over the year. Joe Pug was the biggest surprise, arriving as a submission in the mail. The songwriting on Nation of Heat just flat out blew me away. I don’t think we can say anything more about The Avett Brothers or Fleet Foxes without breaking some guy codes.

We were also lucky to have Joe Pug, Dead Confederate, and Samantha Crain all in the studio for live sessions in 2008.

1. Joe Pug – Nation of Heat

Joe Pug – Hymn 101

Joe Pug – Call It What You Will

Check out the Hearya Live Session with Joe Pug.

Joe Pug – Hymn 101 (via LaundroMatinee)

2. Fleet Foxes – Sun Giant

Fleet Foxes – Mykonos (Live at the Bowery Ballroom NYC)

3. The Avett Brothers – The Gleam II

The Avett Brothers – Murder In The City

The Avett Brothers – Bella Donna

4. Dead Confederate – Self-Titled

Dead Confederate – The Rat

Check out the HearYa Live Session with Dead Confederate.

Dead Confederate – The Rat (Live on Conan)

5. Samantha Crain – The Confiscation

Samantha Crain – Get The Fever Out

Samantha Crain – The River

Check out the HearYa Live Session with Samantha Crain.

Samantha Crain and The Midnight Shivers (Live w/ Paste)

DBT Chicago December 12, 2008 at 1:09 pm

i still like dc’s EP better than the LP, but that’s like saying i like beer over scotch. both are awesome.

while this probably doesn’t qualify under the hearya standards as a EP release, blitzen trapper’s live/acoustic is pretty fresh (it was released in feb.).

Woody December 12, 2008 at 1:56 pm

We left off Megafaun’s EP, Bury The Square. Oz was too drunk last night and couldn’t count higher than 5.

oz December 12, 2008 at 2:31 pm

What is this Blitzen Trapper live/acoustic album you speak of? You’re holding out on us. I had no idea it existed.

DBT Chicago December 12, 2008 at 6:17 pm

i was just browsing the band’s web site (blitzentrapper.net) a few months ago and found it. you have to buy it on itunes.

tracks:
wild mountain nation
shady grove
silver moon
the last thing on my mind
going wrong

frankly, i am floored i discovered something on this site. yay for me.

Starkey December 14, 2008 at 11:27 am

Excellent choices for the EP list. Fleet Foxes is my #1 EP and LP for 08 as it represented one of the most unique sounds in a while. No disrespect to the great Joe Pug release, but still a relatively standard singer/songwriter style (although a very good one at that). Actually, I hope to see him over the holidays at Barrymore in Madison WI.

oz December 15, 2008 at 10:25 am

Starkey – I actually considered your point before posting Joe Pug as number 1. I love singer/songwriters, so long as they write great lyrics. I just love what he has to say – and he’s from Chicago. I’d be lying if that didn’t carry some weight.