HearYa Live Session 35: The Everybodyfields

by oz on November 25, 2008

The Everybodyfields are a relatively new band to me. Woody first turned me on to them a few months ago, pointing out that we made a drastic error by not including their remarkable album, Nothing Is Okay, on our best albums of 2007 list. Since I’ve started listening to this band from Johnson City, TN, my faith has been restored in the country music genre. Jill Andrews (Acoustic Guitar, Bass, Lead Vox) and Sam Quinn (Acoustic Guitar, Bass, Lead Vox) write striking lyrics while Josh Oliver (lead guitar, keys), Tom Pryor (pedal steel), and Jamie Cook (drums) add lush textures to each song.

Shirk sent me a rough mix of “The Only King” and not leaking it early was excruciating. I’m fairly certain that Jill Andrews was sent from heaven. That song has the capacity to bring you damn near to tears for no apparent reason. I’ve been sick with anticipation to hear the rest and there’s not a weak track in the bunch.

Besides Jill’s vocals, highlights for me are Tom’s pedal steel throughout the session and the delicate nature of Sam Quinn’s voice on “I Can’t Sleep.” The Everybodyfields session introduced me to several tracks that aren’t on their latest album, so I was forced to pick up Plague of Dreams and Half-Way There. Digging into their song catalog has been a contemplative pleasure.

It was truly an honor to have this band stop in the studio. The Everybodyfields are true professionals with loads of talent. We didn’t get much info on the set list, so if anyone knows where “Gun,” “Mardi Gras,” and “City Noise” came from, I’d be interested in finding out.

Exclusive: The Everybodyfields – Gun (new track, unreleased)

Exclusive: The Everybodyfields – Mardi Gras (new track, unreleased)

Exclusive: The Everybodyfields – City Noise (new track, unreleased) Track removed at band management’s request.

Exclusive: The Everybodyfields – The Only King

Exclusive: The Everybodyfields – I Can’t Sleep

Sessions in the hopper: AA Bondy and Ben Sollee.

While I’m on the subject of live sessions, also check out Joe Pug’s live session on I PIck My Nose.

liz November 25, 2008 at 7:55 am

‘Gun’, ‘Mardi Gras’ and ‘City Noise’ are all new songs. I hear there’s a new record in the works for the everybodyfields that’s been partially recorded… should be great. Thanks for this!

oz November 25, 2008 at 8:52 am

Liz – you rock. Thanks for the info. I’ll update the tracks to show that they are unreleased.

I should have also mentioned that Shirk did a phenomenal job producing this session. I like these live versions of “The Only King” and “I Can’t Sleep” better than the album versions.

Woody November 25, 2008 at 10:22 am

This is absolutely stunning.

DBT Chicago November 25, 2008 at 11:01 am

Not many cooler sounding instruments than the pedal steel.

bobby November 25, 2008 at 12:18 pm

lovely.

Laura November 28, 2008 at 5:16 pm

wow, these guys are so amazing. Thanks for the session!

greg December 5, 2008 at 9:42 am

ahhh, thanks so much for this. nothing is okay was my favorite record of the ’07 and remains one of my most listened to records of ’08 or atleast thats what last.fm leads me to believe.

Todd January 15, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Big EBF’s fan! The sound is great. Can wait to wade through all the archives.

TV from the AtL

Mason Bailey June 29, 2009 at 12:52 am

Hey! Is there any way to get this on disk?? Please e-mail me if you know a way to do this. Many thanks!

oz June 29, 2009 at 9:20 am

You can right click and save the mp3′s to your computer.

Eric B April 20, 2011 at 9:47 pm

We are huge fans of The everybodyfields here Bristol, TN/VA. If you want Gun and Madi Gras, purchase Sam Quinn’s newest Cd: Sam Quinn and Japan Ten: The Fake that Sank 1000 Ships. You can find City Noise on Jill Andrews solo EP that came out after the band split in 2009. Her newest record “The Mirror” is out in June. We are having an everybodyfields reunion this year at our festival: The Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion…3rd weekend in Sept..put it on your calender.

Shirk April 20, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Thanks, Eric B. We reviewed Sam’s latest album last year and featured his interesting wheelchair video. In addition, we hosted Jill for a solo HearYa session …which she proceeded to knock out of the park. Lots of talent in those two. I’m sure your festival will be a blast, thanks for stopping by. Please give my regards to Rakim.