HearYa Live Session 32: Dead Confederate

by Woody on October 30, 2008

“These guys are kicking ass,” someone in the control room said.‚  As Dead Confederate segued from “Yer Circus” to “Goner,” my buddy Jefe commented aloud to no one in particular. It wasn’t a boastful announcement that was meant to fill some dead air. It was just a simple statement that wrapped up what we were all thinking.

It was as impressive a performance as we have had in the studio to date. The Athens, GA band are a tight five piece outfit that play with unbridled passion and intensity, while being laid back southern gents before and after the performance.

Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the night’s show at Schuba’s but DBT Chicago (our contest winner) echoed Jefe’s statement and said the live show was really great.

Exclusive: Dead Confederate -Heavy Petting

Exclusive: Dead Confederate -Yer Circus

Exclusive: Dead Confederate – All The Angels

Exclusive: Dead Confederate – Goner

Exclusive: Dead Confederate – Tortured Artist Saint

Coming up next: Gringo Star, The Everybodyfields, and Ben Sollee.

Tim Chilcott October 30, 2008 at 8:22 am

seems like everyone is coming out of athens lately

Shirk October 30, 2008 at 8:45 am

No kidding…Athens is hot right now.

Dead Confederate was a blast to have in. Really cool guys…all friendly and down to earth. I love the tones Walker gets out of his guitar. He’s got what seems to be the most useful and controlled “reverbed-out feedback station” I’ve ever had in the studio. It contrasts and sits so well against what Hardy is doing with his guitar…which is cool as well. John (keyboardist) is kind of the unsung hero in my opinion. He’s playing lots of tastey little textures that just sit in there under the guitar and vocal melodies….adding bits of ear candy in the holes and supporting song dynamics with effective use of the rotary speaker.

I could go on and on. Everyone in the band contributes in a very effective way. The arrangements and parts each member plays are well thoughtout and no one gets in the way. It all adds up to a huge sound. I love their album, Wrecking Ball, and am now a big fan of these guys.

DBT Chicago October 30, 2008 at 10:28 am

i went to school in athens from 93-98 and that’s where my appreciation for music, especially underground acts, truly took hold. even though dc seems to a be generation behind me, it was nice to chat with hardy and co. before the show and catch up on the town and scene.

DBT Chicago October 30, 2008 at 10:47 am

just finished listening to the set. nice work, shirk. tortured artist saint is a perfect closer. can’t wait till dc rolls back to chicago.

oz October 31, 2008 at 9:18 am

These guys have a huge sound. Reminds me of the days when Radiohead first emerged with Creep. DC needs to be heard in an arena some day.

slick November 10, 2008 at 6:49 pm

I will have to say…I think this recording captures the true DC sound much better than Wrecking Ball. Excellent job on the recording!

Shirk November 11, 2008 at 8:02 am

Wow, thanks for the kind words, Slick and DBT!

slick November 11, 2008 at 6:26 pm

I have to tell you. I have been following DC for a long, long tme. Way before they were called DC. I have been too busy to spend much time listning to their music, much less anything else, but this recording has stirred the passion I once had. I have recommeded that they consider using you on their next album.