Apparently Not Everyone Hates Michael McDonald

by That Guy on August 29, 2008

I was watching the Democratic National Convention last night, and over a reporter’s shoulder I saw Michael McDonald banging it out on the piano. Barack Obama strikes me as a pretty cool guy, but Michael McFreakingDonald? Doesn’t everyone think he’s terrible? That may be Barack’s first mistake of this campaign. I’m honestly surprised 75,000 people still showed up despite the McDonald appearance.

Anyway, I think McDonald is hilarious. The voice, the hair, the beard, the taking himself seriously. I mean, he’s like the perfect storm of douche. It’s like a hurricane of douche flying into my face whenever I see him.
Here are a couple hilarious Michael McDonald parodies I found on YouTube.

“Re-Michaeling”

[youtube]kTL7cQfmSAs[/youtube]

“Ride Like the Wind”

[youtube]7Hkeb-olZwQ[/youtube]

oz August 29, 2008 at 8:28 am

The first 20 seconds of Re-Michaeling is classic.

Shirk August 29, 2008 at 9:01 am

Dude… Michael McDonald is a bad-ass. On of the greatest purveyors of all things “smooth”. You recognize that voice within two seconds of hearing it. He may look like a douche… but who really cares. It’s the music man! He’s contributed to some classic recordings in his career from Steely to the Doobie Bros. Tell me you don’t love singing his backup lines in “Peg”! Give the guy SOME respect.

oz August 29, 2008 at 9:24 am

Wait a second. If you’re calling him a douche because of his appearance, then you’re also insulting Kenny Rogers and I’ll have none of that!

He’s also much thinner than that image lets on. That must have been a fat phase, that unfortunately featured a FUPA.

Leeann August 29, 2008 at 2:56 pm

But doesn’t Stevie Wonder help make up for it?

oz August 29, 2008 at 3:06 pm
M Dorsch August 29, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Whatever, I’ve never heard of this McDonald character, but don’t be so surprised that the stadium didn’t empty out on account of him being a D-bag. They weren’t there to see McDonald in the first place. Put it another way, you wouldn’t leave early from a Rolling Stones concert just because you didn’t like there opener, would you?

Drinking Buddy August 29, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Sorry, Shirk. I still find Michael McDonald nauseating. Don’t get me wrong, “Peg” was a nice piece. He sang like a lark. Unfortunately, I get crippling diarrhea when I hear him sing. It’s completely involuntary – nothing personal.

M Dorsch – sorry my sarcasm didn’t come through. I guess I should have sold it a little harder – apparently the 2 YouTube parodies and ridiculous “hurricane of douche” comment didn’t tip you off that this might be less than serious. I’m fully aware that typically at the Democratic National Convention people are there to see the Democratic presidential candidate. Appreciate the heads up, though.

Marc December 17, 2008 at 6:01 pm

Hee What’s this all about????
I thought it is about Michael’s GREAT music performances.
I don’t give a shit if he isn’t black, thin, purple, no-beard, bold, short-dicked. What the hell, he is and always will be a great singer-
songwriter. I just can’t help listening to and playing his music over and
over again. This man is the mouth-piece of heart & soul.
It does not mean you have to like him. Is it not you who is in control of your own eyes/pc/tv and whatever you want to look at?
If you want to argue about peoples looks, put your picture up here and we will give some comment on that so just shut up and go on with what you do best, whatever it may be. Obviously and sorry for you, but you don’t go around long enough to understand what it is all about in life.

Kitty October 20, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Listening to Mr. McD through headphones right now…smiling and bouncing in my seat! Note: not smiling BECAUSE I’m boucning in my seat 😉 He’s a happy, robust, colorful music maker…one of the most unique voices I’ve ever heard. I would rate him up there with Satchmo for having “his own sound.” Need more of those types recording.