Mason Proper – Olly Oxen Free

by oz on August 27, 2008

For the past week and a half, my days have started off the same way. Wake up early, eat a high fiber breakfast, go to the office, pour a big cup of coffee, and then hit play on Mason Proper’s sophomore album Olly Oxen Free. I won’t tell you what happens around 10am.

I admit that I completely overlooked their 2007 debut album, There Is a Moth In Your Chest. As I listen to Olly Oxen Free, it’s as if this band from Michigan is working hard to make me regret it. And I am. The album opens with the best trifecta of songs I’ve heard on any album in 2008. “Fog” is a song that lingers in the shadows as it opens with the lines “My horoscope said pack your bags” then you hear what sounds like a gunshot, followed by the lines “Made a hole in my head and forgot why I did.”

Not exactly what I was expecting from a pop album.

After that, “Point A To Point B” lightens the mood with some jangly guitars before “Lock and Key” closes out the hat trick and will have you singing “caught every lightning bug out in the yard” in your sleep. You’ll understand when you hear the verse. I’m just thankful the band and the label decided to allow us to offer up “Lock and Key” as a free download so we can all be infected together.

To be honest, I’ve kind of been stuck at the front end of the album and am still digging through the second half, but I know “Downpour” will be another highlight. Olly Oxen Free will be released on Dovecote Records on September 23rd.

Website | MySpace

Mason Proper – Lock and Key

You can also hear “Only For A Moment” and “Safe for the Time Being” at Daytrotter.

Bloem August 27, 2008 at 9:44 am

I’ve been lucky enough to have an advance copy of this album as well…and I’ve not been able to stop listening to it. I really am enjoying all the songs but I especially favor “Fog”, “Point A to Point B”, and “Shiny”. Oh and I really dig “Lock & Key” too…ah who am I kidding , they are all ridiculously good.

Adam August 27, 2008 at 9:50 am

Now i’m even more exited. I have only heard half of the album, since they have cycled through about 5 songs on their myspace, but i can already tell it will be one of my favorites.

Love the album name too, can’t wait to yell “Olly Oxen Free!” when it shows up at my door.

charlie August 27, 2008 at 9:57 am

Mason Proper brings everything that a band should together. They combine sounds that no one else has the balls to try. I love the songs ive heard

oz August 27, 2008 at 10:05 am

Yeah, I couldn’t agree more Charlie. I didn’t even mention the production on the album, which is incredible. They paid attention to every detail.

James August 27, 2008 at 10:16 am

I completely adored “There is…” and, without being negative I really wasn’t sure how Mason Proper were going to build on that for a second album.

Having been lucky to hear a few of the new songs ahead of time I don’t feel so negative anymore. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if “Olly..” is the album that pushes them over from being for-the-luckily-informed into whatever counts as the mainstream these days. And good luck to them!

Lauren August 27, 2008 at 11:14 am

I’ll admit that the first time I heard Mason Proper, I couldn’t get into their sound. However, after spinning “There’s a Moth in Your Chest” for a few days straight, they grew on me and became one of my top favorites soon thereafter.
Whenever they released a few of their new songs online, I was a bit hesitant to give the tracks a listen– afraid that I’d have to get used to a new, crazy sound all over again. Turns out these songs hooked me pretty well after the first couple chords.
I’m well pleased with the development of their sound and I can’t wait for even MORE Mason Proper.

Bram Derkson August 27, 2008 at 8:10 pm

Man ! I just heard “Safe For The Time Being” and I can’t believe it ! Have you guys heard this one ?! It’s like peanut butter and jelly and crack.

oz August 27, 2008 at 8:16 pm

I prefer peanut butter and honey.

Yes, that song is sick. Killer way to end the album.

ej August 28, 2008 at 1:09 am

safe for the time being is sooper sooper sooper dooper. i haven’t heard many of the other songs from O.O.F., but it most certainly bodes well. i can’t wait.

kaitlyn August 28, 2008 at 7:49 pm

all the songs that ive heard on the new album warm my heart! haha to Adam… i can’t wait to yell it either