Grayson Capps – Rott N Roll

by oz on July 30, 2008

Grayson Capps

Grayson Capps was conceived in the backseat of a Pontiac and born to the son of a preacher in Alabama. In his bio, he says “I write songs which have the voice of dead prophets masquerading as town drunks screaming ‘look at us we’re pretty, too!’” Grayson Capps is part country singer, part bluesman, part preacher, part vagabond and part poet.

The album starts off with “Going Back To The Country” and right away I knew I was in for a treat.‚  It’s a song about being far away from home performing relentlessly, surrounded by booze and whores, with the “devil always at your door, knockin’ at you.”‚  Capps longs to get back to Alabama where life’s simple pleasures, “eating cornbread and raising hell,” await him with a warm embrace. A closer look at his bio, however, reveals that he now resides in New Orleans. It looks like going home might just mean more whores and booze.

From there, Rott ‘N’ Roll progresses through thirteen songs that alternate between slow burning ballads like “The Waltz” and back-porch blues jams like “Big Black Buzzard.” If you were a fan of his previous effort, Songbones, then you’ll appreciate the slide guitar and laid back acoustic tracks. But on Rott ‘N’ Roll it’s the rocking electric blues numbers, backed by a full band, that will get your foot stomping.

You can hear more tracks on his MySpace page.‚  I’ve never met him, but Grayson Capps just seems like a stranger that you’d like to swap stories with at a bar. I have a feeling he can spin a yarn.

Website | MySpace

Grayson Capps -‚  Going Back To The Country

From his previous album, Songbones:

Grayson Capps – I Can’t Hear You

musicanforever July 30, 2008 at 1:03 pm

i love this guys story- nothing like expirience to inject soul into art- Eric Solomon is my favorite artist right now. his story is not the same but ive been reading up on his past and it really helps you to feel the music. hes from africa and you can totally hear that influence in drums- can’t wait to hear this guy

Jesse July 31, 2008 at 7:34 am

Absolutely great…recommended to all

Gleam July 31, 2008 at 7:56 am

I’m digging this new track. check out Grayson live sometime. It’s like religion. He stays in the South most of the time, so don’t miss him if he hits your town. Looking forward to hearing all of Rott n Roll.

oz July 31, 2008 at 8:27 am

I should have also mentioned that Rott ‘N’ Roll is out on September 9th on Hyena Records. Details, details.

Kelly July 31, 2008 at 12:31 pm

You MUST see Grayson live! He pours his soul out through his art and it makes a beautiful stain on your life from that moment on. Almost everybody who experiences him becomes obcessed. Maybe not quite as obcessed as me, but nonetheless………I’m impatiently waiting for Rott’N'Roll to come out. He and The Stumpknockers are an amazing combination!

Twynkle Toes July 31, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Grayson is wonderful as is his music and his story/stories. One slight correction though, he does not reside in New Orleans, he did before Katrina, his neighborhood, Gentilly, was one of the many in New Orleans that was inundated with several feet of water for several weeks. Although his house fared well the neighborhood did not so post Katrina his home base is outside of Nashville, Tennessee. It’s my understanding that he still considers New Orleans home, now more in spirit than in reality.
I echo what Kelly and Gleam say, catch the man and his band “the Stumpknockers” live, you will not be sorry.

The Wench Herself!! July 31, 2008 at 5:06 pm

Agreed, Twynk! New Orleans would love to claim Grayson as her native son and he qualifies, for sure. His blood, sweat and tears are here. I am fortunate indeed to have been a witness to the metamorphosis from good to better to fantastic! As he matures. so does his music. The band is a family of characters who play seamlessly and with passion! I can’t wait for the new album! Catch them live and watch the play. They are one of those bands that sound just as good recorded, but the magic is oh!, so much more mesmerizing live!