Back in ’06 we paid homage to the best mustaches in rock and roll history and became an overnight sensation. Not really, but Yahoo! seemed to enjoy it. This time around we honor the rock mullet in all its glory. Thanks to Drinking Buddy for helping with some of the photos and commentary.
These are not ranked in any particular order. I don’t believe in ranking beauty. While some might be drawn to the sensitive image of Bono’s motherly-love mullet, I’m partial to the playful mullets of Journey. Those guys know how to have a good time. Don’t get too close though. I’m pretty sure at least one of them is packing heat.
Angus Young from AC/DC has an unintentional mullet. It could have been long hair, but there’s nothing left on the top, thus creating a mullet.
Bono’s mullet heals humans.
Remember John Oates from our mustache list? Well his heterosexual partner, Darryl, could have qualified for both. I think I know who inspired MTV VJ Adam Currie’s hairdo.
David Bowie reportedly created his Ziggy Stardust alter-ego to sport a mullet without repercussions. Blame it on Ziggy.
Duran Duran is 80% mullet. What’s the other 20%? I’ll leave that to you.
A Flock of Seagulls’ lead singer successfully reverse engineered the mullet which I think earned him a Grammy or Nobel Peace Prize or something.
The angriest mullet on this list.
Why feature Uncle Jessie Katsopolis from Full House, you may ask? Stamos toured as a drummer with the Beach Boys for years. He was later fired because the lightning bolts shooting out of his mullet posed a serious safety risk.
At least 40% of Journey. Possibly 100%. Some are too close to call (check out the LUMP on the guy in the white pants on the far left. Good god sir!)
This was very close. The hair appears to be normal and well-kept with AquaNet, but it has crept down the neck and has just made contact with Kenny’s blazer. A photo finish, but a mullet nonetheless.
Another balding mullet. Skullet.
Little Dick also should have made our mustache list with that absolutely disgusting lip fuzz. I’d love to comment on the mullet, but I can’t stop looking at his upper lip.
He looks like a lion with that mane of golden hair.
All of Mister Mister. “Kyrieeeelllleeeellllays bum bum the road that I must travel…”
She sang “Total Eclipse of the Heart” and fancied some sort of weird side mullet.
All the dudes from The Outfield, who sang “Your Love.” This might help you remember: “I just wanna use your love. Toniiiiiiight!” One even has his back turned in this picture to show off the rear of the mullet.
Hottest mullet I’ve ever seen.
Sir Paul McCartney
Even with a mullet he comes off like a prick. Maybe its the Spanish-style mustache/soulpatch combo.
Richard should be in commercials. His hair is so voluminous. If only I could get my hands on his conditioner. If only…
If you’ve been a regular to HearYa over the years, this image should be seared into your brain. I think this might be the 11th time we’ve used it and I still can’t get over his pubic mustache.
I see what you’re doing Richie. You are in mullet denial, but this hair style is nothing more than a modern mullet.
Vast majority of Styx. Is the guy on the left giving the thumbs up or clutching that guy’s arm?
Eddie Van Halen
Christopher Guest played this character in Spinal Tap. The mullet was the unintentional joke that would pay future dividends.