The Top 25 Mullets in Rock History

by oz on July 17, 2008

Back in ’06 we paid homage to the best mustaches in rock and roll history and became an overnight sensation. Not really, but Yahoo! seemed to enjoy it. This time around we honor the rock mullet in all its glory. Thanks to Drinking Buddy for helping with some of the photos and commentary.

These are not ranked in any particular order. I don’t believe in ranking beauty. While some might be drawn to the sensitive image of Bono’s motherly-love mullet, I’m partial to the playful mullets of Journey. Those guys know how to have a good time. Don’t get too close though. I’m pretty sure at least one of them is packing heat.

Angus Young

Angus Young from AC/DC has an unintentional mullet. It could have been long hair, but there’s nothing left on the top, thus creating a mullet.

Angus Young Mullet

Bob Seger

Admire it.

bob seger mullet

Bono

Bono’s mullet heals humans.

Bono

Darryl Hall

Remember John Oates from our mustache list? Well his heterosexual partner, Darryl, could have qualified for both. I think I know who inspired MTV VJ Adam Currie’s hairdo.

Daryll Hall

David Bowie

David Bowie reportedly created his Ziggy Stardust alter-ego to sport a mullet without repercussions. Blame it on Ziggy.

david bowie mullet

Duran Duran

Duran Duran is 80% mullet. What’s the other 20%? I’ll leave that to you.

duran duran mullet

Mike Score

A Flock of Seagulls’ lead singer successfully reverse engineered the mullet which I think earned him a Grammy or Nobel Peace Prize or something.

Flock of Seagulls

James Hetfield

The angriest mullet on this list.

james hatfield mullet

John Stamos

Why feature Uncle Jessie Katsopolis from Full House, you may ask? Stamos toured as a drummer with the Beach Boys for years. He was later fired because the lightning bolts shooting out of his mullet posed a serious safety risk.
John Stamos

Journey

At least 40% of Journey. Possibly 100%. Some are too close to call (check out the LUMP on the guy in the white pants on the far left. Good god sir!)

journey mullets

Kenny Loggins

This was very close. The hair appears to be normal and well-kept with AquaNet, but it has crept down the neck and has just made contact with Kenny’s blazer. A photo finish, but a mullet nonetheless.

Kenny Loggins

Mark Knopfler

Another balding mullet. Skullet.

Mark Knopfler mullet

Little Richard

Little Dick also should have made our mustache list with that absolutely disgusting lip fuzz. I’d love to comment on the mullet, but I can’t stop looking at his upper lip.

Little Richard Mullet

Michael Bolton

He looks like a lion with that mane of golden hair.

michael bolton mullet

Mister Mister

All of Mister Mister. “Kyrieeeelllleeeellllays bum bum the road that I must travel…”

Mister Mister Mullets

Nicki French

She sang “Total Eclipse of the Heart” and fancied some sort of weird side mullet.

nicki french mullet

The Outfield

All the dudes from The Outfield, who sang “Your Love.” This might help you remember: “I just wanna use your love. Toniiiiiiight!” One even has his back turned in this picture to show off the rear of the mullet.

outfield mullet

Pat Benetar

Hottest mullet I’ve ever seen.

pat benetar mullet

Sir Paul McCartney

Even with a mullet he comes off like a prick. Maybe its the Spanish-style mustache/soulpatch combo.

paul mccartney mullet

Phil Collins

Amazing picture.

phil collins mullet

Richard Marx

Richard should be in commercials. His hair is so voluminous. If only I could get my hands on his conditioner. If only…
richard marx mullet

Rod Stewart

If you’ve been a regular to HearYa over the years, this image should be seared into your brain. I think this might be the 11th time we’ve used it and I still can’t get over his pubic mustache.

Rod Stewart Mullet

Richie Sambora

I see what you’re doing Richie. You are in mullet denial, but this hair style is nothing more than a modern mullet.

Sambora mullet

Styx

Vast majority of Styx. Is the guy on the left giving the thumbs up or clutching that guy’s arm?

styx mullet

Eddie Van Halen

He’s smoldering.

van halen mullet

Nigel Tufnel

Christopher Guest played this character in Spinal Tap. The mullet was the unintentional joke that would pay future dividends.
spinal tap mullet

Reed July 17, 2008 at 8:20 am

He’s nowhere near as famous, but you should have included this guy:

Great list!

Woody July 17, 2008 at 8:26 am

Where in the name of god is Klaus Meine?

DBT Chicago July 17, 2008 at 9:57 am

Good times. Laughed at nearly every one (Rod Stewart scared me). A nitpick: To me, in order to have a mullet, hair cannot cover the ears. The mane must begin at or beneath ear level.
Cheers.

oz July 17, 2008 at 10:12 am

I wondered if someone would bring up the narrow definition of a mullet. I tend to agree, but the short in front, long in back, hair over the ear look needs to be abolished as well. If we call it a mullet, it might ignite a change in the world.

Stephanie July 17, 2008 at 6:10 pm

Bob Segar, Michael Bolton & Richard Marx – OH LA LA!!!!!!!

Steve Shirk July 18, 2008 at 6:44 am

Richard Marx does have incredible volume…well put, Oz.

Nigel’s cut is so indie classic.

Renee July 22, 2008 at 6:21 am

This post was great! I was laughing all the way through. It brought back too many memories of bad hair! I can think of a few family members that could join the group
: )

sleepykisser July 23, 2008 at 7:19 pm

You do realize that the Hall & Oates album cover is a melding of both their faces, right? Hence, one brown eye and one blue eye? That’s Oates’ mustache on Hall’s face. Darryl Hall did not have a mustache.

oz July 23, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Um…no. Of course I did not know that.

Candy October 12, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Ok, I was born in the 90′s, but some of those mullets are the best looking hair ever! Some though should have never worn them. I’m so glad you put of Bono’s though. You ask anybody, his mullets were the power mullets.

Lisa K December 15, 2008 at 5:47 pm

Half of these aren’t even mullets!
Bono, Phil Collins, Michael Bolton & Richard Marx
have mullets for sure-longish hairdo with the ears cut out.
Rod Stewart, David Bowie & Nicki Tufnel have ’70s SHAG haircuts.
Bob Seger & Eddie Van Halen have feathered back ’70s hair.
James Hetfield has a fauxhawk.
Nicki French has a bob.

Crash December 26, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Who’s Nicki French?

Bonnie Tyler sang “A Total Eclipse of the Heart”.

I guess French did some crappy remake of it.

Check out BONNIE’S She-Mullet, or Shmullet, as I calls ‘em.

Now THERE”S a lost opportunity!

Steve February 2, 2009 at 1:09 am

You haven’t justified the mullet until you find a pic of Joe Elliott of Def Leppard in 1987 on the Hysteria tour.

Jim - shagboy February 2, 2009 at 10:06 am

The mullett shag cut on guys are HOT!!! I’d love to see more pics of these types of styles on guys.

Lord Hasenpfeffer March 24, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Lisa K, you’re absolutely right. Society has been clueless about good hair and clothes since Bill Clinton became President in 1993. The word mullet didn’t even exist until the ’90s. It’s just a way to criticize the past in order to somehow make the present appear better than it actually is.

Some of us know the truth. The rest just pretend to know something at all.

Regiane April 2, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Mais ridiculo que o mullet do Rod Stewart,é a sunguinha!!!

Shanna August 27, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Most of these are not mullets. The rule is business in the front and rock in the back. This meals a short hair cut on the front of the head and then LONG (not tapered together) in the back… it’s a twofer… That means that the ears need to show without the hair being pulled back.. Hair over the ears …not a mullet.

Shags, bangs, layered or “feathered” cuts ARE NOT mullets.

Angus Young — no
Bob Seger — no…not even close those are combed back BANGS
Bono — absolutely yes
Hall/Oates montage — Oates always had a mullet — hall no.. what he did was comb back the hair over his ears = not a mullet
Bowie — that is not a mullet…hence the ear rule. That is a classic shag ala Mrs. Brady
Duran Duran — only one guy qualifies. The rest is creativity with hair product
Mike Score — it’s definitely one of the goofiest in rock history — but not a mullet
James Hetfield — THAT IS A MULLET
John Stamos — It’s not… but he has gone there.. I have to evoke the ear rule
Journey — NOT a single mullet. The dude with the package is Greg Rolle. He formed the band in the 70′s. Previously he played with Santana, even at Woodstock. He was the singer before hiring the dude from Hanford.
Kenny Loggins — Not a mullet. Just a styly haircut. It’s not STRAIGHT and untapered in the back. It is a dorky, but cohesive haircut.
Mark Knofler — I’m on the fence here, but I’ll go with it.
Little Richard — eyep
Michael Bolton — key to defining the cut
Phil Collins — mild
Paul Young — I have to evoke the ear rule and say that his hair is combed back… hairspray
Rod Stewart — nope
Richie Sambora — nada
Styx — Not a mullet in that picture
Eddie Van Halen — if that’s a mullet then Farah Fawcett had one too
Nigel Tufnel — a wig to look like Rod Stewart and Keith Richards… not a mullet.

MARY1959 September 19, 2009 at 6:59 pm

This is the most amazing collection of rock mullets EVER. Can other posters submit their favs? What about David Cassidy?

buddy November 28, 2009 at 9:26 am

The shag- short in front, long in back, covering the ears- as sported by Rod Stewart, Keith Richards, Nigel and Bowie was called a ‘heroin mullet’ by Courtney Love, perhaps her greatest contribution to popular culture.

nathan November 29, 2009 at 1:29 am

you forgot stevie, but this list was awesome

rrpostal December 15, 2009 at 2:59 am

I agree w/ Shanna above

How can Bob Seger and Eddie VH be mullets? They are just basic goofy long hair, nothing remotely mullet like about it. Mullet does not now mean any bad hair cut does it? The only one I disagree with is Shanna’s take on Sambora. Not the best photo of it, but he’s sporting a 00′s mullet for sure. It’s amazing how that horrible band has consistently been 10 yrs behind the times with hairstyles. Must be something about NJ.

Jordan January 18, 2010 at 11:01 am

This is the funniest dang review on mullet’s that I’ve ever seen! Good job sir!

Suricat September 4, 2010 at 1:50 pm

You forgot Gino Vanelli ! He has a HUGE mullet !

Shannon October 27, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Too bad you couldn’t cross the Rock line, as Travis Tritt and Billy Ray Cyrus both had mullets to beat all mullets in the early 90′s…

Bill May 26, 2012 at 9:39 pm

You forgot robin McCauley of McCauley shenker group biggest mullet ever!!!