Are The Moldy Peaches Sellouts?

by oz on May 16, 2008

Moldy Peaches

I am not a Moldy Peaches fan by any stretch of the imagination. I do enjoy following the changing music marketplace to see how bands will earn more money or enhance their living, however. To earn additional revenue with much less effort than touring, many cut licensing deals with network television to feature their songs in shows like Scrubs and Grey’s Anatomy and others, like Band of Horses and Wilco, allow big brands to use their tracks in commercials and other advertisements. I think all of us music fans have decided that we don’t consider those scenarios to be “selling out.”

Remember? We discussed this.

The Moldy Peaches, however, have completely rewritten their “hit” song “Anyone Else But You” from the movie Juno to suit the needs of Atlantis Resorts. You can view it at Rolling Stone. Let’s ask ourselves – Is this selling out? At first glance, I think we’d all say yes. But let’s dissect it a little bit further.

The Moldy Peaches can’t sing, they don’t have a band, and from they can’t play guitar all that well. Seems to me that there is a serious lack of talent, which is unsustainable in any career. Call it what you will but instead of “selling out,” I prefer to call this “cashing out.” It’s like winning the lottery. Their stock will never be higher and they need to milk this one-hit wonder for all its worth and then dissolve into the abyss (Say hello to Biz Markie for me!).

The new, re-vamped song is catchy though…

“Let’s go ride a couple of dolphins, or maybe play tennis or do some golfing…bum bum-bum-bum bum-bum-bum bum-bum-bum-bum…” Sorry, I’ve got to go call Atlantis to book my trip before this deal expires.

Here are The Moldy Peaches on The View. Yes, that’s right. No, not Letterman or Conan. The View I said.
[youtube]BFff-FekFWU[/youtube]

oddbodkins May 18, 2008 at 4:40 pm

There’s really no point in trying to sell anyone on the merits of the Peaches. You either like them or you don’t. i think you’re really selling yourself short if you don’t check out some of Kimya Dawson’s solo stuff (particularly Hidden Vagenda and Remember That I Love You), but if you don’t like twee, what can you do?

i do, however, take umbrage at your dismissing Biz like that. Sure, the guy only had one cross over hit, but you need to check your old skool rap credentials, my friend. The guy essentially discovered Big Daddy Kane and wrote numerous 80s rap classics.

i’m just saying.

oz May 18, 2008 at 4:55 pm

The point wasn’t really to trash the moldy peaches for their talent, but why compromise the integrity of your work?

As for Biz, I was just trying to think of a one hit wonder and he was the first to come to mind. In retrospect, Dexy’s Midnight Runners or Soft Cell could have been better choices.

oddbodkins May 19, 2008 at 9:34 am

As long as we agree that the Biz deserves more love, it’s all good.

Jack Thames June 26, 2008 at 9:31 am

Dexy’s Midnight Runners or Soft Cell? They both had quite a bunch of “hits” in their native country. Both were well respected bands here (England), and the Dexy’s album “Searching for the Young Soul Rebels” is something of a classic. I’m guessing you’re American? If those bands only had one hit in another country: say, Thailand, then I guess a Thai (without much musical knowledge) would consider them “one hit wonders”. According to that logic, if U2, for example, had only ONE “hit” in Papua New Guinea, a blogger from Papua New Guinea would, I guess, call them “one hit wonders”, but we wouldn’t take him seriously.
Know what I mean?

Anonymous September 27, 2008 at 9:43 pm

Well, in the defense of the Moldy Peaches, they only do this for the music, more so than money. Before Juno, the Moldy Peaches were already disbanded and no one was sure when they would be touring again ( as is the case with a lot of indie bands) and Kimya was working on Solo material. What I think is weird about “Juno” however, is that they capitalized on the song that I liked the LEAST off of their album. Not that the song sucks or anything, I mean, it’s alright, but if anyone’s ever listened to that original CD (which is pretty hard to find now) they had some awesome songs with some funny adult lyrics not intended for kids but lyrics that were honest, funny and raunchy. For some reason now, they are getting slanted with this “Squeaky cutesy pussy music” label by these kids that don’t know better and are phased out by Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers.

What I liked is how Juno has given the Moldy Peaches an audience, something that I remember the Moldy Peaches struggled with for a while (they even made a song about it “NYC’s like a Graveyard” ). Having said that, I see this as a means from Kimya’s perspective of broadening their audience even more. Maybe Kimya does see this as a means of financial gain, but in the long run, in the eyes of business, it’s all a matter of marketing on popular trends. That doesn’t mean they are going to get a bigger audience unfortunately, Again I’m trying to give things a different perspective.

Also, I remember seeing DEVO as just one hit wonders when I didn’t know any better, and then I found a copy of “Q:Are we not men? A: We are DEVO!” and their “Devotees” dedication album. Fantastic stuff, even if the latter was made by fans. Sometimes some of the most obscure material can also be the most amazing. I think that’s the beauty of this film, even if it sucks, it’s given this band a new following that they always deserved. I remember in High School being the only kid into the Moldy Peaches or even knowing who they were.

tl;dr- Point is, even if they are in the mainstream, or are known by more people, doesn’t mean they are widely accepted. Nevertheless, they are a great band, but it seems judging from the reactions of ALOT of people on the internet, that their music is too “outsider” for their tastes ala Daniel Johnston.

music snob July 23, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Correction: You either like them, or your ears bleed when you here them. WOW. Being a REAL singer I am deeply insulted that these people were recorded. I hope none of the recordings last. Future man will think we all were retarded in this era.
Usually you have to have something to sell before you can sellout!
OH THE HUMANITY!

lucas August 26, 2009 at 1:35 am

Honestly I found this article a bit ridiculous saying that they cant sing. There are thousands of bands in which the lead singer is garbage. It doesn’t make the band bad. This is indie, not rock. You dont need that much guitar experience.

AcidPony August 31, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I imagine ‘music snob’ thinks Bob Dylan can’t sing, The Velvet Underground can’t write songs, Joy Division are depressing and Public Enemy don’t have a grip on reality.

I am deeply intrigued to know what a REAL singer is. My guess would be somewhere between Axl Rose and that tit from Nickelback.

HA! November 24, 2009 at 4:03 am

ha i’ve never heard such bull. how is having your song in a film selling out and advertising not you are a div and you have it the exact wrong way round dickweed.