Who’s in your fantasy supergroup?

by That Guy on May 9, 2008

Traveling Wilburys

When I was a young boy, I came up with a game called “Create Your Own Fantasy Supergroup”. My two friends who liked music and I would sit around discussing who we would hand select to create the ultimate band. You got to choose one from each of the following categories:

¢ Lead Singer
¢ Lead Guitar
¢ Rhythm Guitar
¢ Bass
¢ Drums
¢ Miscellaneous musician – this could be anyone that plays an instrument of any kind, excluding skin flute.
¢ Miscellaneous performer – this could be any performer you want – they don’t necessarily have to play an instrument.

Feel free to get weird.

For example, it could be M.C. Hammer dancing off to the side of the stage in hammerpants with suspenders over his nipples and his dental hygienist glasses. Or it could be Mario Lopez, playing Greg Lougainis in a made-for-TV movie, emphatically nailing can-opener after can-opener into a small pool just behind the stage. Both are performers. Both are eligible for the supergroup.

Back when I was a youngster, I usually went with the likes of Eddie Vedder, Carter Beauford, and Todd Park Mohr. Today, I’m still a big enough douchebag to think about this sort of thing. Here’s my fantasy supergroup as it stands today:

Band Name: The Cockslingers

Lead Singer: Jim James, My Morning Jacket. The non-sexual man-crush runs deep.

Lead Guitar: M. Ward. I don’t like squealing guitars and 3 minute solos. I do like M. Ward’s playing style. Here’s why.

Rhythm Guitar: Josh Ritter. Couldn’t leave him out of the band.

Bass: Brian Reyes, The Little Ones. The bass player needs to be jolly. Never has there been a jollier guy than this guy. He reminds me of someone whose nickname would be “Buddy” or perhaps “Tippy”.

Drums: Julian Dorio, The Whigs. The first time I saw him play he was wearing all white. He looked like a complete assneck. But he delivered the goods and can shred drums. That was also the day we at HearYa met Shirk and we began our path to fame and golden-fleeced loins of glory.

Miscellaneous musician: Stephen Kellogg on kazoo. If anyone has seen this guy on the kazoo, you know what I’m talking about. Plus, hey man¦it’s like, hey man, somebody’s got to draw in the high school babes.

Miscellaneous performer: Jewel yodeling topless.

Who’s in your fantasy supergroup? Comment and win my favor.

Here are some free mp3’s from The Cockslingers:

Jim James – Smokin’ from Shootin’ (live solo from SXSW 2008)

M. Ward – Poor Boy, Minor Key

Jim James & M. Ward – Chinese Translation (live from SXSW 2008)

Josh Ritter – The Temptation of Adam

The Little Ones – Boracay

The Whigs – Right Hand on My Heart

oz May 9, 2008 at 7:54 am

Band Name: The Gateway Drugs
Lead Singer: Shane MacGowen
Rhythm Guitar: David Crosby
Lead Guitar: Keith Richards
Bass: Brian Wilson
Drums: Keith Moon

Misc Musician Amy Winehouse mudwrestles Misc Performer Lindsay Lohan to the death.

IG May 9, 2008 at 8:56 am

Band Name: The Silicon Wristbands
Lead Singer: Stephen Christian, Anberlin
Rhythm Guitar: Luke Pritchard, The Kooks (for the acoustic sessions and some songwriting)
Lead Guitar: Bob Garaffa , Amphibians
Bass: Flea, RHCP
Drums: Travis Barker, Blink 182

Big Mac May 9, 2008 at 10:34 am

Band Name: The Company
Lead Singer: Grace Potter, Grace Potter & The Nocturnals
Rhythm Guitar: Bob Weir, The Grateful Dead & Ratdog
Lead Guitar: John Butler, John Butler Trio
Bass: Victor Wooten, Bela Fleck & The Flecktones
Drums: Butch Trucks, The Allman Brothers Band
Misc musician: Jerry DePizzo playing the sax, OAR
Misc performer: Billy Powell on keys, Lynyrd Skynyrd

Woody May 9, 2008 at 11:12 am

Band Name – Mercy Flush
Lead Singer: Will Sheff – Yes I have a man-crush on him. And no I haven’t washed my hands since meeting at SXSW
Lead Guitar: Jerry Garcia – There isn’t a style that Jerry didn’t master.
Rhythm Guitar – Dan Auerbach – This is like getting two guitarists for one.
Bass: John Entwistle – Still the best.
Drums: ?uestlove – I needed one guy with a sweet fro. The fact that he can play the drums is just a bonus.
Misc Musician: Tower of Power Horn Section – Let’s get funky!!!
Misc Perfomer – Danny Federici on keys, accordion, etc. A great performer who just recently passed away.

PRick Lachey May 9, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Band Name: Bonerfluff
Lead Singer: Freddy Mercury – I’m serious
Lead Guitar: The Edge
Rhythm Guitar: Little Steven Van Zandt, ESB
Bass: James Jamerson – From previously mentioned Funk Brothers. Amazing one fingered bass player with a great name
Drums: John Bonham, Zeppelin
Misc. Musician – Drinking Buddy on guitar playing the acoustic version of the Remix to the Remix to Ignition
Misc. Performer – The chick from the SXSW HearYa party that was playing a long piece of wood with one string like she was giving it a hand job

oz May 9, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Who really needs to fantasize about a supergroup after the Damn Yankees were formed in ’89. My fantasy became reality when I heard “High Enough.”

Chris Blake May 9, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Band Name: The Squeamish

Lead Singer: Sufjan Stevens in a butterfly costume

Lead Guitar: Barry “Friggin” Gibb in his own butterfly costume, but the wings aren’t as big, and Gibb is pissed

Rhythm Guitar: Elvis Costello (you just know he would force his way in somehow)

Bassist: A bored Pete “I Was Just Paid to Do This One Gig” Wentz

Drums: Blake Lewis (beatbox)

Triangle: An indignant Barry White

Miscellaneous: Bing Crosby strapped to a handcart with a muzzle mask a la Hannibal Lecter

Ryno May 9, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Wow, DB’s lineup is going to be tough to beat for me. But here is my best shot:

Band Name: Indie Hipsters
Lead Singer: Bruce Springsteen
Lead Guitar: Tim Reynolds
Rhythm Guitar: John Fogerty
Bassist: John Stirratt of Wilco
Drums: Phil Collins (don’t laugh)
Misc: Toca Rivera on the bongos
Misc: “Mike D” of the Beastie Boys

Rhadoona May 9, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Band Name: Hot Ass

Lead Singers: Chris Cornell/Eddie Vedder
Lead Guitar: Eric Clapton
Rhythm Guitar: James Hetfield
Bass: Flea (Multiple tattoos trump Entwistle for this lineup)
Drums: Dave Grohl
Misc. Musician: Ben Harper
Misc. Performer: Ol’ Dirty Bastard “I don’t have no trouble with you f-in’ me, but I have a little problem with you NOT f-in’ me.” The Wu-Tang is for the children.

Patrick May 10, 2008 at 2:30 am

Band Name: The Seldom Ample Buster Club

Lead Singer: VV from The Kills
Lead Guitar: Jack White, along with his 29th fret
Rythm Guitar: Albert Hammond Jr.
Bass: Paul Hinojos – ATDI
Drums: Patrick Carney – reference ‘Set You Free’
Misc. Musician: Ben Folds
Misc. Performer: Devendra Banhart… all shroomed up

Woody May 10, 2008 at 11:14 am

I noticed that my first superband had no female representation, thus my second all-female band. We’ll be sponsored by The Hard Rock and make tons of dough.

Band Name – The Pink Tacos
Lead Singer – Corin Tucker
Lead Guitar – Erika Van Wennerstrom
Rhythm – Joan Jett
Bass – Kim Deal
Drums – Janet Weiss
Banjo, Keys, Mandolin – Cambria Goodwin
Backup Vocals – The Backup Singers from The Commitments

Sex,Drugs and Groupies May 14, 2008 at 7:35 am

Lead Singer : Ronnie Van Zant (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
Twin Lead Guitar : Jimmy Page ,MickMars,(Led zep ,Motley Crue)
Rhythm Guitar : Keith Richards (the rolling stones)
Bass : John Entwhistle (The who)
Drums : Neil Paert (Rush)

Songwriter Keith Richards/Nikki Sixx
Miscealleanous Peformer : BEZ

dave May 29, 2008 at 9:15 am

The Go You Fuckholes

Lead Singer: Karen O
Lead Guitar: Nels Cline
Rhythm Guitar: Thurston Moore
Bass: Mike Watt
Drums: Glenn Kotche
Misc. I & II: Scarlett Johannsen & Zooey Deschanel topless, go go dancing backup singers

nanomymous June 22, 2008 at 5:01 pm

BandName – The Howling

Lead Singer: Chris Cornell
Back-up Singers: Thomas Giles Roger (BTBAM) Abbath (Immortal)
Jamey Jasta (Hatebreed)
Twin-Lead Guitar: Buckethead, Michael Ammott (Carcass/Arch Enemy)
Rhythm Guitar: Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
Bass: Les Claypool (Primus)
Drums: Chris Pennie (formerly The Dillinger Escape Plan)
Keyboards: Thomas Giles Rogers (Between the Buried and Me)

aryl W August 20, 2009 at 9:41 am

I found this through the new Kellogg album review & have to play along:

Band Name – Black Tar Heroin

Lead Singer: Beth Ditto (Gossip)
Lead Guitar: Jack White
Rhythm Guitar: Isaac Brock
Bass: Flea
Drums: Danny Carey (Tool)
Keyboards: John Paul Jones
Extras: Dirty Dozen Brass Band

Obviously, vocal duties will be shared.

Vernon January 21, 2010 at 1:49 am

Name: RavenHart

Vocals: Gabriel Garcia (Black Tide)
Lead Guitar: Slash (Guns N’ Roses, Velvet Revolver)
Rhythm Guitar: Scott Ian (Anthrax)
Bass: Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
Drums: Lars Ulrich (Metallica)
Coolest Metal Band!

John January 26, 2010 at 10:07 am

Lead sinnger- Jim morrison
Lead giutar- Jimi paige
rhythm – mat bellamy
Drums- dave grohl
Bass – flea
Keybored= rick wright (pinkfloyd)
Misc- david gilmore slide guitar

dave January 26, 2010 at 10:09 am

LED ZEPPELIN
END OFF

Israel June 11, 2010 at 9:04 am

Band Name: Can’t think of one.

Singer- ZACK DE LA ROCHA (Rage Against The Machine)
Lead Guitar- BUCKETHEAD (Buckethead)
Rythm Guitar- DARON MALAKIAN (System Of A Down)
Bass- LES CLAYPOOL (Primus)
Upright Bass- FLEA (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Drums- JOEY JORDISON (Slipknot)
Fiddle- (This guy from youtube): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LA0z1jXDcg&feature=related

Will June 13, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Name – Gunboat Diplomacy
Lead Singers – Jon Bon Jovi (Bon Jovi)+ Axl Rose (Guns n Roses)
Lead Guitar – Slash (Guns n Roses/Velvet Revolver)
Rythm Guitar – Ricie Sambora (Bon Jovi)
Bassist – Duff Mckagen (Guns n Roses/Velvet Revolver)
Drums/Backing Vocals – Dave Grohl (Nirvana/QOTSA)
Drums/Assorted Percussion – Tico Torres (Bon Jovi)
Keyboard – David Bryan (Bon Jovi)
and
Backing Vocals – Paul Waaktaar Savoy (Aha) +
Till Lindemann (Rammstein

Largely a mix of Bon Jovi (all four main members) and GNR, has to produce great music. Probably wouldnt lack controversy with Slash, Duff, Axl and Till. Curt Cobain very close to being a third frontman, Phill Collins a third drummer, and there would definately have to be a backstage role for the holy trinity of singer/songwriters; Diamond, Springsteen and Adams.

Flannel Dan December 1, 2011 at 3:29 am

(I’m taking picks based on how these musicians are at this moment – meaning no one dead, and no one who is, like 83. If I had Hendrix, Bonham, or Lennon at his respective prime this group would be much different.)

Band name: Nona and the Armadillo Trousers – “Nona” after Alice in Chains’ joke movie featuring Jerry Cantrell in drag interviewing his band mates, and “Armadillo Trousers” after a line in This Is Spinal Tap.

Lead vocalist: Maynard James Keenan (Tool)
Guitar 1: Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine)
Guitar 2: Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains)
Bass: Flea (the Chilis)
Drums: Matt Cameron (Soundgarden, Pearl Jam)
Misc. Instrumentalist: Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails), on keyboards or generally whatever was called for.
Misc. Performer: Dave Grohl (Nirvana, the Foos) doing whatever the Hell he wants either onstage or jumping into the crowd.

Even if their music wouldn’t be the best technically, this would be an incredibly funny group of guys who wouldn’t take themselves too seriously and still create some great music.