HearYa Live Session 17: Justin Townes Earle

by Woody on May 1, 2008

Justin Townes Earle

There are certain bands that roll though town and are on my required list: Drive-By Truckers, Lucero, and The Hold Steady, to name a few. No matter what’s going on in my life, I make sure it revolves around those shows. I now have a new addition to my short list and his name is Justin Townes Earle.

I had listened to Justin Townes Earles’s recent debut release, The Good Life, a few times and thought it was spectacular, but in no way did it prepare me for the experience of seeing him perform live. Justin arrived to Shirk’s studio with his good friend Cory Younts, played for a short time, and left me walking out that afternoon absolutely floored. The chemistry between Justin and Cory was magnificent. I joked with Steve Shirk afterwards that I could mix the session and it would still sound magnificent.

The boys laid down four tracks, each one more captivating than the next. The version of “Lone Pine Hill,” however, might just be the finest thing we’ve recorded in any of our live sessions. I don’t know if I blinked while they played it. I went to Schuba’s to catch him that night with The Felice Brothers and in front of a crowd, they were even better. His stage presence is unparalleled and it was easily one of finest performances that I have seen in quite some time.

Exclusive: Justin Townes Earle – Lone Pine Hill

Exclusive: Justin Townes Earle – Who Am I To Say

Exclusive: Justin Townes Earle – Your Biscuits Are Big Enough For Me

Exclusive: Justin Townes Earle – Turn Out My Lights

From later on that night at Schubas:

Exclusive: The Felice Brothers – Revolver (Live at Schubas)

Exclusive: Justin Townes Earle – The Ghost of Virginia (Live at Schubas)

oz May 1, 2008 at 10:07 am

I absolutely love this session. Listening to JTE is like going back in time to hear country music in it’s purity, before it had pop stars. I picture him playing with a traveling circus in the dust bowl or maybe on freight trains during the depression era.

Townes Van Zandt, Hank Williams, Justin Townes Earle.

And kudos to JTE for overcoming some serious drug addictions to focus on his craft. He almost died of respiratory failure after being awake for 14 days, according to his NPR interview. Hopefully he stays clean and puts out music this great (or even half this great) for decades to come.

nittanyroar May 1, 2008 at 10:11 am

I had the pleasure of seeing Justin Townes Earle with the Felice Bros. in Philadelphia a few weeks ago. Your reaction sounds identical to mine. I had never listened to him before, I went to see the Felice Bros. and he stole the show for me. I saw them play at a church that only held 50 people, the smallest church I have ever seen. We actually sat at the pews! I don’t want to take anything away from JTE but I swear it’s genetics ;)

Jbo May 1, 2008 at 6:32 pm

First of all, this is a grat website. Wish Id known about it sooner. Ive been lucky enough to see JTE twice and his new albumn and Yma ep are all great.
I really hold him up there with the greats like Todd Snider and the greats in his name. I hope he continues to make great music for many years to come!!!

Would like to also give The Felice Brothers high praise. I went to their show to see Justin and walked out a HUGE Felice Brother’s fan. Picked up both their albums and can not stop listening to them. Seeing those two acts together was a blissing I will not soon forget.

Craig May 9, 2008 at 10:36 am

I do a few shows around the Detroit area and booked Justin Townes Earle for a show on Thursday May 22-I caught him in Memphis back in February and felt the same as many here that this guy had something very special. I’m sure he gained some serious experience from his dad, but, I really heard something that was just all his-a serious Hank Sr.sound, but it had a certain coolness that those that don’t care for good old twangy country might enjoy too (although, it was pretty darn twangy…..i loved it).
Any Detroit area folks that dig this stuff should come show some support for this young man before you don’t get a chance to see him in a small venue. You’ll get a chance to meet him too. The place is Callahan’s in Auburn Hills MI (www.atcallahans.com) and admission is ten bucks at the door. A great deal. Small intimate venue and JTE….

Baron Lane May 11, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Justin in the real deal. Thanks for posting.

GEofFReY soUl July 3, 2008 at 9:12 pm

JTE rocks my shite. I saw him at The Waiting Room in Omaha. If you look on the web, it is probally the only full show you will find. Just him and Cory, very intamate, very clean. You will love it.
xoxo, GEofFReY soUl

jimdandy November 7, 2008 at 5:42 am

I’ve just discovered JTE and just can’t believe how good he is. I’ve been a fan of SE for years and altho’ both brilliant they are strictly their own men. This young guy should be HUGE. I feel like swimming the Atlantic to see him play. You lucky people living over there!

brittney November 10, 2008 at 3:23 pm
Rhondalove December 9, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Pure natural talent, strong voice, steady guitar, sweet boy.

Yeah, go see him for sure, have yourself a good time. Take a friend, dance a little, smile a lot, tap that foot.

Suburban Roots January 10, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Howdy all NJ/NY/PA Justin Townes Earle fans! Justin returns to NJ this coming Thursday, January 15, 2009!

A very rare and intimate appearance at The Claddagh in Highlands, NJ. Justin’s star is on the rise, and he was incredible the last time he joined us! You won’t want to miss this show!

Visit: http://www.michael-patrick.net/jte.html
for more information and tix! Support real country music in NJ!

Hope to see y’all there!

Moshcam February 1, 2009 at 1:24 am

Great set, nice work. You might enjoy the JTE show we filmed in Sydney recently, which is now streaming here: