HearYa Live Session 12: Radio Moscow

by Woody on January 11, 2008

radio moscow

A few months ago I was at Schubas for a Scott H. Biram show. Everybody was milling around in the front bar when a the opening act, Radio Moscow, took the stage. Parker Griggs and company would soon capture everyone’s attention in the house.

I’d seen Radio Moscow before and had been listening to their self-titled debut release prior to its release date, so I high-tailed it from the bar to Schubas’ back room. It was a sparse crowd, but as soon as Parker lit into the first song you could see heads turn. The room soon filled with people standing around, their mouths agape. I asked a buddy of mine what he thought and he said, “Holy shit. That kid can play.”

That has been the reaction both times I’ve seen Parker and Radio Moscow. I was expecting the same from Shirk and my brother-in-law who joined me at the studio for our 12th live session. It didn’t take long for jaws to drop as Parker and the boys began with “Frustrating Sound.”

Parker Griggs’ hands are like meat-hooks and they swallow the neck of the guitar. His hands move effortlessly, driving a heavy blues sound that seems odd for someone so young (he’s 23 I think). As the session continued, Radio Moscow were firing on all cylinders and we just soaked it in. At one point, after kicking out “Whatever Happened”, Parker asked if he could try out some new material. Shirk’s response? “You can play all day for all I care.”

Parker is the centerpiece of the band, but by no means is Radio Moscow a one man act. Shirk compared them to Jimi Hendrix & The Experience. Now before anybody freaks out, we are not comparing Parker Griggs to Jimi Hendrix, but the overall approach is fairly similar. Todd and Zach do a phenomenal job laying down the rhythm and then get out of the way, letting Parker do his thing. And his thing is nothing short of amazing.

Parker Griggs is one of the best young guitarists out there today, if not the best. He’s a prodigy. As he matures and his songwriting chops get refined, there is no limit on what he and his band can do in the future. Next time they are in your town, go see them.

Downloads:

Exclusive: Radio Moscow – Frustrating Sound

Exclusive: Radio Moscow – Whatever Happened

Exclusive: Radio Moscow – New Untitled Track

Exclusive: Radio Moscow – Deep Blue Sea

Exclusive: Radio Moscow – Mistreating Queen

Exclusive: Radio Moscow – Fuse

Jason F January 11, 2008 at 11:39 am

These songs are some of the best stuff I’ve heard in a while. I’ll keep an eye out for them if they’re ever in Chicago. Thanks for the post

mp3 January 12, 2008 at 4:07 am

I was listening to Radio Moscow is precisely at this moment! That was super!

Woody January 13, 2008 at 3:10 pm

According to their Myspace page, they are going to be at SXSW come March. I suggest checking them out if you are making your way down to Austin.

Steve Shirk January 14, 2008 at 9:09 am

These guys rock!

oz January 14, 2008 at 6:52 pm

Thank god the session sounds better than the picture looks! That session topped Ha Ha Tonka as the best yet, in my opinion.

Steve Shirk January 14, 2008 at 9:44 pm

I’m sorry, oz…I gots the shakes. All my photos look like that lately. I remember some blurry live shots of yours from awhile back..was it a Ryan Adams show or something :)

profe pedroza January 21, 2008 at 11:31 pm

yeaaa great band ……….. STONER rules…..grettings from MEXICO GORE METAL MAFIA

benn February 5, 2008 at 9:44 am

keeping playing the blues never take the blues out and keep it progressive..your opening the door for alot of talent in the future and even now so dont get caught up and give other bands a chance if they come up the more bands we have like you the better chance of a revival we have!!

Andre´ April 4, 2008 at 11:11 am

i love that band. i m listing to their cd 4-5 times a day. can t w8 to get a new album. hope they re always able to play their own style and not be told by a music company what the bright mass wants to listen to. keep that blues rocking non-frustrating sound!!! greets from germany

Broman June 12, 2008 at 1:32 pm

I must reply to this blog (BTTT) – the Radio Moscow album is tight from top to bottom.

They have the sound that EVERYONE else has been missing lately. It hits the same kind of spot in my soul as someone like, let’s say Wolfmother. It’s a retro rock instilled with blues and – ohh wait GREAT guitar playing at it’s core!!

I hear these g-damn emo / punk bands that get radio play and I can’t for the life of me figure out why bands like Ride the Blinds, Radio Moscow or Clutch get no airtime….I hate that sales driven radio is the status quo – thanks to the internet I can ignore all that garbage and find true rock in a band like this.

Huge fan – thanks to these guys and bands like them I am picking up the guitar bug and actually trying to learn to play. I stink – they don’t

Support these guys if you can you won’t regret it!!!

~Bro

Randy Shone June 29, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Thank you for bringing live Radio Moscow to our ears…. Ahh glorious sounds.

Cheers,

Randy

dvd, pda, ipod movies October 5, 2008 at 2:31 am

its a real good

Jojo January 28, 2009 at 10:09 pm

This is very good stuff.Boston Feb 19th at The Middle East upstairs.It will be a nice shitstorm.Heck yeah.

Vanessa January 29, 2009 at 11:09 am

Dead Man / Radio Moscow / The Velcro Lewis Group
Friday, Feb 13 8:00p
at The Bottom Lounge, Chicago, IL

Hellyeah Munny February 11, 2009 at 8:43 pm

I just saw RadioMoscow open for Dead Man yesterday (very unfair for DeadMan).

RM is one of the best live bands I’ve seen in 20 years…this kid is just f**kin sick!!
I mean, there’s two live bands that I NEVER miss…”The Black Angels” and “TOOL”.

That should be enough said.
Your face will melt.

Jeremy January 8, 2011 at 5:24 am

Parker does the drums on the albums, as well.