If you are an unknown band looking for exposure, I’m pretty sure all you need to do is cover a rap song. If you can work out an acoustic or bluegrass version, you’re bound to get people playing it at parties and dumb ass bloggers like me posting mp3′s on their sites. You might even score yourself a hit. Remember Dynamite Hack?
If you are too much of a purist to get suckered in to these shameless cover songs, I offer a challenge. At your next party, get your friends all liquored up and put on “Gin and Juice” by the Gourds. I guarantee that it will end up playing on repeat and things will get weird.
And yes, I know Fergie and JT don’t qualify as rap, but I had to get to 10 tracks somehow.
1. The Gourds – Gin and Juice (Snoop Dogg)
2. Rock Plaza Central – SexyBack (Justin Timberlake)
3. Travis Morrison – What’s Your Fantasy? (Ludacris)
4. Nina Gordon – Straight Outta Compton (NWA)
5. Jill Sobule – Hot in Herre (Nelly)
6. Port O’Brien – My Humps (Fergie)
7. Brent Runyan – Bring the Noise (Public Enemy)
8. Jonathan Coultan – Baby Got Back (Sir Mix-a-Lot)
9. Kooks – Crazy (Gnarls Barkley)
10. Dynamite Hack – Boyz in the Hood (NWA)
Ben Folds Five – Bitches ain’t Shit (Dr. Dre)