The Record Low, Live Session #2

by oz on May 3, 2007

Henry Robby

Marcus Justin

I took a trip to Chicago about two weeks ago and had the pleasure of meeting up with some HearYa friends and one of our favorite unsigned bands, The Record Low, at Stephen Shirk’s studio on the city’s west side in Wicker Park. We first wrote about these guys back in February. It’s been a great experience hearing their early demos, then receiving their debut album Hear to Stay, now seeing them in the studio and drinking beers with them after. I just wish I could have stayed longer.

Henry, Robby, Markus and Justin are what a band should be. They are a talented group of musicians that are passionate about their music and believe in one another. They have a good time, but the music always comes first. Our session started with each of them sporting headphones. After a few songs, Henry (the lead singer) and the crew weren’t feeling it. A short smoke break later and the headphones were stashed away, the lights dimmed, some candles lit, and The Record Low played as if they were around a campfire amongst friends. The way it should be.

We had several long conversations about their band an our website. They are hell bent on never promoting themselves, almost to a fault. Most bands these days are scouring blogs and MySpace working to get the word out. The Record Low have no plans of following the path of self-promotion. They plan to work hard and let their music speak for itself.

Right about the time I wanted to open a debate about why I think indie bands shouldn’t be ashamed to promote themselves, Henry and Robby (the guitarist) started playing alone together while Markus and Justin (the drummer) were hanging with us in the sound room. Henry and Robby started an acoustic cover of Townes Van Zandts’ “Dead Flowers” and Markus said, “Shhh, Listen. That kid can sing the shit out of this song.”

It was the last song of the night and we all finished our Busch Lights and quietly sang “Dead Flowers” to ourselves. And I won’t forget to put roses on your grave….

Exclusive: The Record Low – Southern State

Exclusive: The Record Low – Keep Up

Exclusive: The Record Low – These Girls

Exclusive: The Record Low – Dead Flowers (Townes Van Zandt Cover)

tacy May 3, 2007 at 12:52 pm

Very cool. Hopefully more HearYa Live Sessions to come?

Greg May 3, 2007 at 2:50 pm

Guys, Thanks for this. I am once again enjoying a new take on the Record Low. If I get 100 signatures, will the band come out to Boston?

Rock Hancock May 8, 2007 at 1:33 pm

I was fortunate enough to be on site for this live session and hang with Oz and Shirk and the boys from The Record Low. Shirk’s studio is nothing short of incredible, and I laughed out loud on several occasions both during and after the session… I think everybody had a great time. Next time I attend a HearYa session at Shirk’s studio I’m bringing more beer though, probably High Life, although Busch Light didn’t taste as bad as I remembered it tasting in high school.

If you haven’t see The Record Low live, you’re missing out!

LC May 9, 2007 at 12:03 pm

Nice afro D rocket. :)

music June 25, 2007 at 10:33 am

great songs.

regards from germany!

John February 7, 2009 at 8:50 am

The Record Low are going downhill fast. Their show last night at the Double Door in Chicago (2/7/09) was HORRIBLE. First off , how can the headliner just play 4 or 5 new songs and leave? They didn’t play any of their good songs, just new crap. That guitar player needs to hold back a little. Enough of the distortion already.
This band has no discipline, restraint or respect for their audience.
I WILL NEVER PAY MONEY TO SEE THEM AGAIN!

A.Moore September 17, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Dead Flowers is TOWNES VAN ZANDT’S Song

Tim February 2, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Dead Flowers is a ROLLING STONES song! Townes covered it late in his career and it was famously featured on the Big Lebowski (at the end in the bowling alley). But it is not a Townes song!