The Sword – Age of Winters

by Woody on April 21, 2007

The Sword
Whether you are an avid heavy metal enthusiast or occasionally just feel the need for something a little louder than usual after yet another five-day stint feeling like a chump in your business casual uniform, the Sword might come to your defense. Hailing from Austin, this “retro-metal” four-man band has been gaining steam for the last several years culminating with the well-received release of Age of Winters (2006), on the Kemado Records label. After I encouraged a friend to give it a listen, he likened the album to “Wolfmother on steroids.” I’m not entirely sure what that means, but it struck me as a good description. For a detailed review, check out the insightful iTunes write-up which”giving credit where credit is due”is pretty spot on.

Suffice it to say, there is no shortage of ominously heavy guitar riffs or Nordic medieval inspired lyrics for your listening pleasure on Age of Winters. And to me, that is the beauty of it. Like it or not (depending on your musical tastes), the Sword seemingly set out to resuscitate a specific genre of music and damn if they didn’t breath life into it. From the album cover art to the song titles (such as “Barael’s Blade,” “Winter’s Wolves,” “The Horned Goddess,” and “March of the Lor”), this thematic effort is worthy of applause. Doubtful, however, that your wife or girlfriend will be clapping when the Sword is blaring from the car stereo on your next drive together. No one said being a Viking was easy.

The Sword – Winter’s Wolves

Woody April 21, 2007 at 7:14 pm

Since I have three kids, my wife has decided its time I that I become emasculated. Somehow I thought listening to The Sword on the way to consultation would make me feel better.

You know what? It sure did. It reminded me of the 15 year-old version of me. Mullett, drinking Schlitz on the street corner in freezing tempature while Maiden blared from my boombox. Fuck Yeah!!! I was cool.

Long live The Sword as the 15 y/o version of Woody is dead.

Shawn April 22, 2007 at 10:16 am

I love this band. I am eternally thankful that Kemado got me a review copy of this when the album first dropped, as it was one of my top albums of 2006. I reminds me of myself at 15, shooting hoops while Black Sabbath blares out the boombox leaning in my bedroom window.

oz April 22, 2007 at 12:33 pm

Drinking Schlitz on the street at 15? I’m picturing you with mullet, starter jacket and matching hat, and white hi-tops – Kind of like Marky Mark. I’m surprised the 30+ version of woody is alive today.

Shooting hoops on the driveway sounds about right for me at 15 too. Although I probably would have passed Woody on the street, taken one look at him and his get-up, and then kicked his ass.

Woody April 22, 2007 at 1:29 pm

White Hi-Tops, starter jacket? Maybe in the half-ass town you grew up in. It was Rush – Signals tour shirt, jean jacket w/ hooded sweatshirt below and I wore workbooks like any self-respecting dirtbag.

And considering you were still crapping in your pants when I was 15, I highly doubt you would have stood a chance in taking me down.

oz April 22, 2007 at 5:55 pm

God, you are a bitter old man.

The Dude December 4, 2007 at 11:47 pm

Oz is a douche bag. I’ll never check this site again because I’m high and jammin’ to The Sword, but I really felt that Oz needed to be told that he’s a douche. Yup. Keep rocking Woody!

The Dude December 4, 2007 at 11:48 pm

You’re gay like aids Oz. Homo.

macky-paige October 30, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Love these guys! I am loving the new album too!