HearYa’s Best Albums of 2006

by oz on December 14, 2006

Finally..our 25 Best Albums of 2006.

1. Band of Horses – Everything all the Time

Pushover MP3

24. Howlin Rain – Howlin’ Rain
Roll on the Rusted Days MP3

25. Regina Spektor – Begin To Hope
Fidelity MP3

Woody December 15, 2006 at 8:45 am

As someone who helped compile the list, I don’t really have the right to complain but here are a few that I thought deserved consideration.

1. Pearl Jam – Their best work in years.

2. Comets On Fire – Blue Cathedral was OK. Avatar is awesome.

3. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin – Broom: I reviewed them earlier. Great indie pop.

4. Rock Plaza Central – Are We Not Horses: Discovered too late. Review to Follow

5. The Channel – Tales From The Two Hill Heart/Sybilline Machine: See Rock Plaza Central

6. Chili Peppers – Stadium Arcadium: Strong work, not as good as some previous efforts. Wish it was trimmed to one disc.

7. The Roots – Game Theory

8. Ben Kweller: Good but still not Sha Sha

9. Ben Harper – Both Sides of The Gun: His best effort since Burn To Shine

10. The Whigs – Give Em All A Fat Lip:

Lord know, we left someone off either to an oversight or it just wasn’t our speed. We’re always looking for good new music so let us know if we missed any of your favorites.

Oz December 15, 2006 at 10:13 am

I might have included the Cold War Kids also. I really loved Bruce Springsteen and Willie Nelson’s albums, but Boss covered Pete Seeger and Willie only had a few original tracks.

GetGoneAgain December 20, 2006 at 1:05 pm

No Silversun Pickups “Carnavas”? No Sound Team “Movie Monster”?

I hope it’s because somehow those two GIFTS didn’t show up on your radar… Itunes. Music Store. Buy them now.

J

oz December 20, 2006 at 4:17 pm

Sound Team wasn’t on my radar, but i’ll check them out. We reviewed silversun and weren’t impressed: http://www.hearya.com/2006/10/06/silversun-pickups-carnavas/

I’d like them to put out another album and prove us wrong.

TS December 23, 2006 at 3:02 pm

Great List!

The only a couple CD’s that I would put in this list that weren’t there (Neko Case, My Morning Jacket live, Lemonheads – for sentimental reasons).

And I would move DBT to the Top 5 😉

But if I made a list, Band of Horses, M. Ward, Lucero & Decemberists would be in my Top 5 for sure.

Ryan December 26, 2006 at 7:41 pm

Nice list. I agree with a lot of it!

Cheers.

Greg January 19, 2007 at 3:29 pm

I like your list. I even sort of agree with the exclusion of Carnavas, though I don’t know that I would have gotten to a top 25 without it.

Gaffney February 9, 2007 at 3:07 pm

I really dig Ray Lamontagne’s “Till the Sun Turns Black” and I feel that it should have been included on this list…what is this? Amateur Hour?

Oh and hello from Colorado Woody and Foster!

Your Boy,

JG

Gaffney February 10, 2007 at 12:49 am

Also, Floyd M. wanted you idiots to know that even though the Mundahs don’t publish recording dates on their “albums” they are a timeless band that deserves credit for this list.

Have you fools ever taken the time out of yourr busy day to listen to Buffalo Springfield’s album titled “Buffalo Springfield”?

I only ask because this website seems like a deperate attempt to justify music that’s already been made by bands that wish they were born 30 yrs ago. Anyway….I respect yer enthusiasm……….I guess.

Mofongo February 10, 2007 at 11:34 pm

Responding on behalf of the “idiots” and “fools,” um … so your point is that we should listen exclusively to Buffalo Springfield?

Obviously, as one of the biggest Mundahs fans alive, I can say they deserve their own blog entirely and an induction into the Rock Hall of Fame, but still tough to argue that they should crack a best-of-’06 list when … they didn’t put out an album in ’06 … or in the last decade for that matter.

Anyway, thanks for leaving a reply brother ……. I guess.

Gaffney February 24, 2007 at 12:03 am

MOFONGO re: the Mundahs said:

“… they didn’t put out an album in ‘06 …”

Hey MOFONGO…do you have any proof of that?

“Ineed a group of 2 to keep my back from bendin’…..”

-Al Cech

Gaffney February 24, 2007 at 12:10 am

“the Mundahs are AL……I won’t deny that……Al IS the band, man, I just play the guitar and Dave plays the Drums”

-Jess Watkins summer 1994

BonoGirl68 March 3, 2007 at 8:38 am

I’ll never understand the lack of love for Muse when I check out the Best Albums of 2006 lists. Black Holes and Revelations is just a joy to listen to. Matt Bellamy’s voice is amazing and they are one of the best live bands out there.

Lola Raffa February 15, 2009 at 4:51 am

I will check the rest of the albums. I could only listen to The Crane wife, The Racounters album, Artic Monkeys’, and Regina Spektor’s. and they were great, so. by the way, this is a great blog.

Joey February 18, 2009 at 10:47 am

Does anyone know how to get hold of Al Cech?

Lww