Hit Parader’s Top 100 Metal Vocalists of All Time

by oz on December 4, 2006

I’m not much of a metal guy these days, but I dabbled in high school. I heard about this list on the radio this morning and had to look it up. It’s bound for controversy. Freddy Mercury at #6? Scott Stapp and Fred Durst made the list but Billy Corgan didn’t? ROD STEWART AGAIN!!! This guy is haunting me lately.

I’ll further assume that punk bands are not included, since Joey Ramone didn’t make the cut.

Some of my personal favorites (other than Corgan) that are not on the list:

Pepper Keenan, Corrosion of Conformity

Phil Anselmo, Pantera

Keith Caputo, Life of Agony

Here’s the full list from Hit Parader.

01. Robert Plant
96. Wes Scantlin
97. Tim “Ripper” Owens
98. Joshua Todd
99. Kevin Dubrow
100. Ray Gillen

Armanox June 28, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Really, no Shagrath? Mustaine @ 89?
And how the hell is Fred even there?

FLOUNDER July 6, 2015 at 6:57 pm

This list is bullshit just because Mike Patton ain’t on it, and that’s not to mention the fuckin names that aren’t even metal. Bogus ass list.

Leo July 23, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Where is Mike Patton?

A list published by the Chicago-based music website Consequence of Sound (CoS), acknowledged Mike Patton as “the greatest singer of all time.”

Rebel Raime July 25, 2015 at 7:01 pm

Ray Gillen @ 100???!!! r u fucking kidding me ? he should number 1. he’s better than everyone in the top 5

Rebel Raime July 25, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Ray Gillen @ 100???!!! r u kidding me ? he should number 1. he’s better than everyone in the top 5.
and what hurts even more is that u have poser trash like Fred Durst, Curt Cobain and Amy Lee higher on the list.

Ilya Vinnik July 28, 2015 at 4:28 pm

This list is a fake without Suzi Quatro!!!!!

Paco July 31, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Just a stellar list . . . you’ve got fucking Freddy Mercury (not a metal singer, not even in the slightest) and Anthony Kiedis (a limited singer whose vocals do not even remotely count as “metal”). Where’s Mike Patton–you know, a worldwide metal icon who toured with Tool and Sepultura? Whose vocals with Faith No More and Tomahawk have made him a hard rock sensation? The man with the greatest vocal range (six octaves and one half note) in rock/metal?

Mahan August 1, 2015 at 1:07 am

Where is Randy Blythe..!!!!??????

William September 2, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Where are Randy Blythe, Till Lindemann and Ronnie James Dio
Are you serious… Chris Cornell better than Dickinson and Mercury?!?!

Anonymus Ignis September 4, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Ok,so you put Dani Filth,the ”Ripper” and other few screamers but you don’t put Randy Blythe,are you serious man?!Randy is one of the greatest if not the greatest voices of metal…ever!
You also forgot Adam Darski,Chad Gray,Angela Gossow,Joakim Broden,Till Lindemann and so many more…
And some of the artists just shouldn’t be on the list,they just shouldn’t.
They may have contributed to metal over the years,but they are just not metal vocalists.I mean Robert Plant on the first place,Chris Cornell on the fourth and so many more that just shouldn’t be on the list.
If this was made to be a ”best vocalists of all time” list,with few shuffles,it could work,but like this no,just no.

Tim September 7, 2015 at 1:09 am

I think this list sucks and need updated by a professional vocalist. I do love Ozzy and Bon Scott , but we need to get back to reality. Tim Owens the guy that replaced the number 2 vocalist is at the bottom and David Coverdale, Don Dokken and I can name a few more that is getting the shaft. My personal favorite, Geoff Tate, especially when he was in his prime could hit some serious notes.

Jeff September 15, 2015 at 8:39 pm

It is a weak list and should be rethought ,I love led Zeppelin but I don’t consider them metal,Eric Wagner was metal,Paul Dianno was metal don’t get me started .i like Dion too should he be on this list,let’s not cross categories,Halford is the king though

Pat September 18, 2015 at 5:23 am

Klaus Meine@ 22, that’s a mistake right? I mean he’s below Sammy Hagar, oh so wrong!!!

peiman September 21, 2015 at 11:16 pm

OMFG where is Eric Adams?!!!
this is the worst list ever!

justin coleman September 22, 2015 at 5:56 am

Okay, scott weiland should of been a lot fucking higher. And really no layne staley????

But at least you had robert plant on there I guess

justin coleman September 22, 2015 at 5:58 am

Never mind layne staley is on ther hahhaahahh

fred October 27, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Rod may not sing metal, but he has done hard rock songs and you won’t find a better voice. I’m a Tyler fan myself. I look at it this way. I ‘ll take Nobody’s fault from Aerosmith, which is their heaviest song and Tyler’s voice, in my opinion is better than any other voice I have heard and that is a better metal song than any I’ve ever heard. Not to mention rats in the cellar. I’m not saying other bands aren’t great and that other vocalists are bad. I’m just saying Tyler is what I prefer. I love Dio, Gillan, Alice Cooper, Brain Connelly from Sweet. I prefer guys with some soul, a scratch to their voice and a hellacious scream. I never liked clear voiced vocalists like Ozzy, Halford and the like. Don’t equate singing high with a great voice nor do I think gutteral is really singing. I can sound like I’m puking while I sing as well. Not really a talent in my opinion. Prefer some melody and stuff that doesn’t make me feel depressed when I listen to it. I found the new metal that came in at the end of the 70’s was pretty depressing. Too much sabbath influence. This list is silly because we all have our personal tastes and no one will talk anyone out of what they like. I do have issues with gillan being so far down he should be in the running for number one. Joan Jett over Ann Wilson. Lol. One last thing. Freddy Mercury is not really metal but you won’t find a better voice, talent, or range out of all of these vocalists. He deserves top five vocalist in any genre. Cornell is incredible too. Not my cup of tea, but wow.

jbyars October 28, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Glenn Danzig should be at least on the list, especially considering Gavin Rossdale and other non-metal singers are filling space here. Danzig, to me, should at least break the top 10. This list was made by someone who just wrote down every singer he/she could think of in the order they appeared in his/her brain.

TheGhostofBelleStarr November 26, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Seriously ? They put Sammy Hagar above Steve Perry and Geoff Tate….LMAO…a travesty to say the least…and Chris Cornell #4 ? Ridiculous.

Ruman Vocalist Bd November 29, 2015 at 11:03 am

this is the worst list ever!!! my top ten would be
1.Eric Adams
2.Rob Halford
3.Phillip Anselmo
4.Geoff Tate
5.Bruce Dickinson
6.Sebastian Bach
7.Ronnie James Dio
8.Ozzy Osbourne
9.Axl Rose
10.Robert Plant
11.Brian Johnson

Cat December 4, 2015 at 5:23 am

Where’s Max Cavalera??

cruefan83 December 18, 2015 at 3:16 am

Very good list – Halford #1!!, Dio over Ozzy, Perry & Bach should move up significantly, Consider Billy Idol

Paul January 13, 2016 at 6:32 am

Shaun Morgan?

Slyder D'basketcase January 18, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Whoever made this list is a complete fucking moron I just to solidify that comment it says metal vocalists in my own personal opinion that excludes Robert Plant but for a fact it excludes Steve Perry who is probably my favorite singer in the whole world but never one note of heavy metal .Ozzy a great performer doesn’t sing like Ronnie James Dio and here’s one out of the blue JAMES motherfucking heavy metal Hatfield if he’s not in the top five this list is fucking bogus Megadeth Dave Mustaine must be in the top 10 Rob Halford an Iron Maiden Bruce Dickinson need to arm wrestle for first and second is that the only way that was ever going to get picked correctly oh my god they put in gene Simmons as 29 if this lists wet to 1000 gene Simmons should still not be on it and just in case you might think that I don’t like kiss I’m number 77 in the KISS Army a kiss is the first concert I ever saw 1978 Hartford Connecticut I was in the third grade thanks dad ok so we all agree this list is fucking bogus I’m going to have to build my own

Johnson January 24, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Just when I thought this list couldn’t get any more absurd, I get to #100 and there is no Matthew Barlow from Iced Earth. Fred Durst, but no Matt Barlow lmao

mahmut January 29, 2016 at 3:28 am

doro pesch is missing? how could they forgot her!?

Parker November 18, 2016 at 8:18 pm

That graham bonnet didn’t make this list is a travesty!

kev December 2, 2016 at 7:44 am

Where is Lou Gramm of Foreigner?

John Lehr December 22, 2016 at 4:15 pm

How in the hell were livin that Vince Neil isn’t more accomplished than # 33
Have you heard this one’s voice, sooo sick

John Lehr December 22, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Where the hell yes is Bob Mould in all this ….stop with the lists and start with amazing voices that inspire concept

Jay April 21, 2017 at 7:59 am

Where in gods holy name is Michael Kiske from helloween whose talent and vocal range puts him easily in the top 5

john May 9, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Seriusly Dave Mustaine at 89 …he single handedly formed Megadeth after being expelled he elevated the metal to next level and wrote songs relating to nowadays prospects of life like symphony of desteuction, holy wars he even predicted the wars and stuffs occouring today and u put him at 89 ….it hurts to see such list whoever made the list well listen to POP

Cristian Demetriuc May 18, 2017 at 6:27 am

The forgotten ones:
Jon Oliva (Savatage), Dave Wayne (Metal Church), Paul di’Anno (ex Maiden), Jeff Scott Soto (Malmsteen), Dorothee Pesch (Doro)
And as top 10 come on….
1 Freddy Mercury
2 Dio
3 Robert Plant
4 Bruce Dickinson
5 Klaus Maine
6 Axl Rose
7 Dave Coverdale (Whitesnake)
8 Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
9 Michael Kiske (Helloween)
10 Eric Adams (Manowar) / Blackie Lawless (WASP)

Bud Hancock May 19, 2017 at 12:24 am