Hit Parader’s Top 100 Metal Vocalists of All Time

by oz on December 4, 2006

I’m not much of a metal guy these days, but I dabbled in high school. I heard about this list on the radio this morning and had to look it up. It’s bound for controversy. Freddy Mercury at #6? Scott Stapp and Fred Durst made the list but Billy Corgan didn’t? ROD STEWART AGAIN!!! This guy is haunting me lately.

I’ll further assume that punk bands are not included, since Joey Ramone didn’t make the cut.

Some of my personal favorites (other than Corgan) that are not on the list:

Pepper Keenan, Corrosion of Conformity

Phil Anselmo, Pantera

Keith Caputo, Life of Agony

Here’s the full list from Hit Parader.

01. Robert Plant
97. Tim “Ripper” Owens
98. Joshua Todd
99. Kevin Dubrow
100. Ray Gillen

{ 1962 comments… read them below or add one }

justin coleman September 22, 2015 at 5:56 am

Okay, scott weiland should of been a lot fucking higher. And really no layne staley????

But at least you had robert plant on there I guess

justin coleman September 22, 2015 at 5:58 am

Never mind layne staley is on ther hahhaahahh

fred October 27, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Rod may not sing metal, but he has done hard rock songs and you won’t find a better voice. I’m a Tyler fan myself. I look at it this way. I ‘ll take Nobody’s fault from Aerosmith, which is their heaviest song and Tyler’s voice, in my opinion is better than any other voice I have heard and that is a better metal song than any I’ve ever heard. Not to mention rats in the cellar. I’m not saying other bands aren’t great and that other vocalists are bad. I’m just saying Tyler is what I prefer. I love Dio, Gillan, Alice Cooper, Brain Connelly from Sweet. I prefer guys with some soul, a scratch to their voice and a hellacious scream. I never liked clear voiced vocalists like Ozzy, Halford and the like. Don’t equate singing high with a great voice nor do I think gutteral is really singing. I can sound like I’m puking while I sing as well. Not really a talent in my opinion. Prefer some melody and stuff that doesn’t make me feel depressed when I listen to it. I found the new metal that came in at the end of the 70′s was pretty depressing. Too much sabbath influence. This list is silly because we all have our personal tastes and no one will talk anyone out of what they like. I do have issues with gillan being so far down he should be in the running for number one. Joan Jett over Ann Wilson. Lol. One last thing. Freddy Mercury is not really metal but you won’t find a better voice, talent, or range out of all of these vocalists. He deserves top five vocalist in any genre. Cornell is incredible too. Not my cup of tea, but wow.

jbyars October 28, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Glenn Danzig should be at least on the list, especially considering Gavin Rossdale and other non-metal singers are filling space here. Danzig, to me, should at least break the top 10. This list was made by someone who just wrote down every singer he/she could think of in the order they appeared in his/her brain.

TheGhostofBelleStarr November 26, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Seriously ? They put Sammy Hagar above Steve Perry and Geoff Tate….LMAO…a travesty to say the least…and Chris Cornell #4 ? Ridiculous.

Ruman Vocalist Bd November 29, 2015 at 11:03 am

this is the worst list ever!!! my top ten would be
1.Eric Adams
2.Rob Halford
3.Phillip Anselmo
4.Geoff Tate
5.Bruce Dickinson
6.Sebastian Bach
7.Ronnie James Dio
8.Ozzy Osbourne
9.Axl Rose
10.Robert Plant
11.Brian Johnson

Cat December 4, 2015 at 5:23 am

Where’s Max Cavalera??

cruefan83 December 18, 2015 at 3:16 am

Very good list – Halford #1!!, Dio over Ozzy, Perry & Bach should move up significantly, Consider Billy Idol

Paul January 13, 2016 at 6:32 am

Shaun Morgan?

Slyder D'basketcase January 18, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Whoever made this list is a complete fucking moron I just to solidify that comment it says metal vocalists in my own personal opinion that excludes Robert Plant but for a fact it excludes Steve Perry who is probably my favorite singer in the whole world but never one note of heavy metal .Ozzy a great performer doesn’t sing like Ronnie James Dio and here’s one out of the blue JAMES motherfucking heavy metal Hatfield if he’s not in the top five this list is fucking bogus Megadeth Dave Mustaine must be in the top 10 Rob Halford an Iron Maiden Bruce Dickinson need to arm wrestle for first and second is that the only way that was ever going to get picked correctly oh my god they put in gene Simmons as 29 if this lists wet to 1000 gene Simmons should still not be on it and just in case you might think that I don’t like kiss I’m number 77 in the KISS Army a kiss is the first concert I ever saw 1978 Hartford Connecticut I was in the third grade thanks dad ok so we all agree this list is fucking bogus I’m going to have to build my own

Johnson January 24, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Just when I thought this list couldn’t get any more absurd, I get to #100 and there is no Matthew Barlow from Iced Earth. Fred Durst, but no Matt Barlow lmao

mahmut January 29, 2016 at 3:28 am

doro pesch is missing? how could they forgot her!?